Good thing the wife's out of town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good thing the wife's out of town

I went out to look at Guitar Center's big July blowout sale thingy today...and came home with a NOS RR5! Why did I do that? $399.00, that's why. It's the cream w/black pinstripes and gold hardware version. I decided to try it since it has a Tune-o-matic bridge. I'm getting a bit fed up with Floyds and decided to see how a Rhoads would fit me. Pretty cool, so far.

My wife will be, umm, 'intrigued', when she comes back to town Monday, I'm sure. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The cool thing is that this is a new guitar, so the 30-day return policy is in effect. This will probably help with the wife, as well. I may end up returning it to get a set of studio monitors, but we'll see.

One question, though: Because the neck is angled back due to the TM bridge, I can't raise the bridge pickup close enough to the strings, which sit quite a ways off the body. I seem to reach the end of the adjustment screws' travel with still a long distance between pickup and strings. Any ideas on how to rectify this without guitar alterations (that 30-day return policy, remember...)?

Re: Good thing the wife\'s out of town

No way to change the pickup thing without even a slight alteration. You'd have to get pickups with long legs on them to get right under the strings.
    Congrats on the score - $400 is great for a new RR5 considering everyone else is trying to get $800+ for them.

Tell the wife it was on sale - women understand sales. If she doesn't, then every time she comes in with something she found on sale, tell her "take it back, we can't afford it" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think my wife will be okay with it. I'm got some saleable stuff--I could certainly get by with my Soloist for leads and the Rhoads for rhythm. As long as my budget stays close to 'equanimity', I'm ok. And I'm a tightwad anyway, so I'm not going to go hogwild on gear, with or without my wife's scolding.

I managed to get the pickup a bit higher, and ended up finding it a bit bass-heavy that way. First time I've ever noticed that with a JB pickup. It's actually a bit nicer sounding when slightly lowered. If I keep the guitar, it would be a prime candidate for an EMG 81/85 setup, I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
        I went out to look at Guitar Center's big July blowout sale thingy today...and came home with a NOS RR5! Why did I do that? $399.00, that's why. It's the cream w/black pinstripes and gold hardware version. I decided to try it since it has a Tune-o-matic bridge. I'm getting a bit fed up with Floyds and decided to see how a Rhoads would fit me. Pretty cool, so far.

My wife will be, umm, 'intrigued', when she comes back to town Monday, I'm sure. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The cool thing is that this is a new guitar, so the 30-day return policy is in effect. This will probably help with the wife, as well. I may end up returning it to get a set of studio monitors, but we'll see.

One question, though: Because the neck is angled back due to the TM bridge, I can't raise the bridge pickup close enough to the strings, which sit quite a ways off the body. I seem to reach the end of the adjustment screws' travel with still a long distance between pickup and strings. Any ideas on how to rectify this without guitar alterations (that 30-day return policy, remember...)?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">****ing great deal man !!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

It was a great deal, but I returned it today and got a set of nearfield monitors--the M-Audio BX8. I've been needing decent monitoring in my studio forever, and that's a much bigger priority than another guitar. These are really neat monitors and they were marked down considerably. They are not quite as 'shake the room' punchy as the Event TR8 or 20/20, but I think the M-Audio has better detail and treble response than the Events, as well as more than enough bass response for my needs.

I highly recommend everybody check out this GC sale going on until July 22. I'm not the biggest GC fan, but they really do have some good deals there with this sale. I picked up a Rocktron Chameleon 2000 for $99. I'm not impressed with the sound so far (we'll see what happens with it when the ADA Ampulator arrives), but at that price, I couldn't refuse--I can turn it around for a lot more than that on eBay.

[ July 06, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: pro-fusion ]

Comment

Newc:
            No way to change the pickup thing without even a slight alteration. You'd have to get pickups with long legs on them to get right under the strings.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Or you could remove the pickup and clip the springs shorter. Worked when I put a JB in my SG Standard.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

You DON'T want "shake the room punchy" in studio monitors. What you want is a flat frequency responce. If you have bass heavy speakers, it will cause you to mix your tracks with too little bass, because it will sound good on your bassy monitors, but when you play your material on other speakers, it will sound weak.

Comment

Working...
              X