Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of Floyd Rose on Jackson DX 10D?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of Floyd Rose on Jackson DX 10D?

I recently picked up a made in India Jackson DX 10D. I got it dirt cheap at a Guitar Center sale (mismarked). Well, I'm not sure if I'm in love with it, so I'm thinking about parting it out and maybe using the Floyd on a Warmoth project.

I haven't played a Floyd since I had an original on a Kramer Baretta back in '85!!

What's the quality like on the imports? Do they suck in comparison? Am I better off getting an original, or a Schaller?

FWIW, the Floyd I have looks like the originals. I noticed the newer Jacksons have a different design where the string locking device is more forward.

thanks!

Re: Quality of Floyd Rose on Jackson DX 10D?

If it was made in India, the trem is a JT500, basically the same low-end model found on lots of other import brands. They aren't exactly adored by most Floyd users, as the metal is cheap and not going to hold up as well under wear and tear. The Japanese models use the 580 trem, which is better. Neither is on par with a Schaller or OFR though...
    sigpic

Comment

It's also a single-locking trem, meaning that the stings feed through the bridge with the ball ends intact. Toejam gave me a great idea on mine, though; solder the ball ends of each string before installing for much better tuning stability.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Mine must be double locking because I have to cut the ball ends off of the strings.

Comment

Yeah....every JT500 I've ever seen has been double-locking...They look just like OFRs, with the locking screws coming out the back from under the trem...

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube:
            It's also a single-locking trem, meaning that the stings feed through the bridge with the ball ends intact. Toejam gave me a great idea on mine, though; solder the ball ends of each string before installing for much better tuning stability.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The JT500s are double-locking, unless older ones were single-locking? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I know the Charvel Rhoads (Avenger) had a single-locking trem, not sure exactly what model it was, though. The single-locking trem on my '87 Kramer ST600 is an original Floyd II.
            Glad the ball soldering worked for ya! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 10, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You ball-solderer you! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                You ball-solderer you! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OUCH!
                [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                X