Pro Series SL3 compared to USA SL1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Series SL3 compared to USA SL1?

I heard that the only difference is that the SL3 has a different floyd and rosewood fretboard. Is that true?

Re: Pro Series SL3 compared to USA SL1?

SL3 also has no binding and is made in Japan.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Oh, right. Are the USA models really worth the extra cash?

Comment

Matter of opinion. If you can get a good deal on an SL3, I'm sure that you could buy it and never have any second thoughts -- the features and quality are very good compared to the competition. I tried out an SL3, and found it to play and sound great. However, an SL1 has features that make it worth the money to a lot of people: OFR, binding, real MOP inlays, and "Made in the USA". Personally, the OFR doesn't make a difference one way or the other to me, but I prefer neck binding and pearl inlays to unbound and plastic inlays.
        sigpic

Comment

It's not just the board, inlay, trem, and binding that make the difference - today's Pro series models are not identical in feel and playability to the USAs like the 1990/91 Pros were. THOSE were the ones that were outselling the USA models to begin with, and they were USA quality all the way. I've had both the USA and Pro versions of the Warrior and Soloist, and they were absolutely identical in feel and playability.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I definitely think a SL1 is worth the extra cash compared to a SL3.

Comment

I agree with Dave. The SL1/SL2H is a whole lot better guitar especially since they are going for so cheep on eBay right now. I have played a few SL3s and don't like the neck profile or the scarf joint. As Newc mentioned, there is a bigger difference between the SL3 and SL1/SL2H than just binding, board and inlays.

[ July 28, 2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: KV_X ]

Comment

Originally posted by KV_X:
                I agree with Dave. The SL1/SL2H is a whole lot better guitar especially since they are going for so cheep on eBay right now. I have played a few SL3s and don't like the neck profile or the scarf joint. As Newc mentioned, there is a bigger difference between the SL3 and SL1/SL2H than just binding, board and inlays.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You mean especially since they are going so cheap ? [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Sorry, I couldn't resist [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Cheep, cheep!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Newc:
                    [QB] It's not just the board, inlay, trem, and binding that make the difference - today's Pro series models are not identical in feel and playability to the USAs like the 1990/91 Pros were. THOSE were the ones that were outselling the USA models to begin with, and they were USA quality all the way.

newc, which are these models you are referring to?
                    I mean, their precise model names...and how can I tell, knowing the serial #, if an import jackson belongs to the 90/91 breed you are talking about?

Comment

I think my imports are every bit as good in terms of feel and playability as the U.S guitars. (provided they are made in Japan)

I include in this category my Model series guitars as well as my recent DK2 and in particular my DXMG. (I think it's one of the best guitars Jackson puts there name on.. a killer neck feel, frets as clean and smooth as butter.)

My USA Dinky feels pretty nice, but a little unremarkable considering the price.

It certainly has nothing on my DXMG or Model 6, I even like the MG's HZ pups over the Duncans in the DK-1 and they are both Poplar.

As far as the SL3 goes, I'd pass and get a used US soloist for the same price, mostly because of the cosmetics, cause I love binding.

Comment

If your really wanting an awesome Soloist without paying the USA prices keep an eye out for an early 90-93 Jackson Soloist XL made in Japan. They are easily as good as any USA model for much less. I've bought and sold over 20 USA models but only kept a made in Japan model and dumped a Duncan JB in the bridge and two Duncan hot stacks in it. It is as nice as my $3200 GMP Pawnshop Deluxe made in San Dimas.

Comment

Shhh! I'm looking for a Soloist XL!

Last one on the bay went for a little over 3 bills....

Comment

and what about the bolt-on models?...

Comment

I have a Soloist Pro and a Dinky XL Pro, and they rival comparable USA models that I've played. Then again, both have Schaller trems and Duncans installed. To be fair, the current DK2 is pretty close to the Dinky XL in terms of feel. If only they'd stop using plastic inlays...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X