Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth EX new pickups?

hi guys.
    I'm new here, I bought my first Jackson yesterday (a red Stealth EX for 240 euro). I needed a floyd guitar for some effects, and the single coils sounded soo cool [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I want to replace the bridge humbucker though, thinking about a SD Invader.. any suggestions on other pick ups?
    This guitar will be mostly used for recording, when I play live I use a Dean EVO and an old Yamaha SG400 (= awesome guitar btw).

EMG's also crossed my mind, but when I switch the single coils to EMG single's, do I still get that great single coil sound?
    thanks in advance!!

Re: Stealth EX new pickups?

I'm a retard... I forgot to mention my music style [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I play extreme metal, gonna use this guitar for music ala new Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, Bal-Sagoth.. epic and fast.
    The guitar is great btw, I will be picking it up next tuesday

Comment

The EMG singles get a great crystalline clean sound - not very Stratty if that's what you want, but the tone changes a little depending on how close they are to the strings. Smack under the strings is where you get that piercing crystal glassy clean that'll split your skull like a spike, but back em down a tad for a warmer, smoother (but still pretty) sound.
      If you're playing Extreme Metal like that, you'd probably better go with EMGs (81/SA/SA) or if you go with passive pickups, get either a Duncan Distortion or Invader for the bridge.
      On the other hand, if you are using a very high gain amp like a Mesa Triple Rec, the Distortion-class pickups like the Invader might give you TOO much gain (cuz they're designed to boost your input to non-high-gain amps like older Marshalls and such).

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Neurotranslator:
        hi guys.
        I'm new here, I bought my first Jackson yesterday (a red Stealth EX for 240 euro). I needed a floyd guitar for some effects, and the single coils sounded soo cool [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        I want to replace the bridge humbucker though, thinking about a SD Invader.. any suggestions on other pick ups?
        This guitar will be mostly used for recording, when I play live I use a Dean EVO and an old Yamaha SG400 (= awesome guitar btw).

EMG's also crossed my mind, but when I switch the single coils to EMG single's, do I still get that great single coil sound?
        thanks in advance!!
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">put a emg 81 in the bridge position you would be sorry you did thats forsure ! if you don't have the bucks for a 81 put a emg hz h4 the passive version of the 81 sort of , they sound killer as well ! //Steve

Comment

..... oh yeah and post a pic of the guitar [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

haha thanks guys.. well, I guess I'm gonna try some recording with the stock pickups first.. If I don't like it, I can allways switch...
            I'm getting it tuesday, I played it all day yesterday before deciding to buy it. But for 240 euro, it's a steal! pictures will come when I get it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I had two Invaders in my Kelly. Talk about a lot of low mids and bass punch!! Those pickups had to be kept a little bit lower from getting too many overtones, but they did sound pretty good. Personally, I'd get a DiMarzio X2N over the Invader, but both are really great sounding, just the X2N has more high end. Then again, I'm a big EMG fan, too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

hehe thanks for the advice! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                damn, tomorrow is the day.. I wanna I wanna I wanna! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                first day of school starting, talk about bad timing.. want to play guitar but have to go to school...
                sorry for this nonsense post, waiting for new toys sucks

Comment

Working...
                X