• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DK-2 Pickup Suggestions?

You cant go wrong with a JB in the bridge

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      PM sent, and sorry, I didnt see the bit about actives, so ignore that part if you wanna

[/ QUOTE ]

I said "passives only" because I didn't want the extra cost of having actives installed... but that's just an assumption on my part. If my guitar tech doesn't charge extra of installation of actives, then I'll consider them too.

I guess I should call my tech and ask [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        I've read somewhere that the Distortion is the passive equivalent of EMG-81? Is that a good description of it? IF it is, then I will stay away from it, 'cause I've already got a guitar with EMG-81 in it (DK2LE)

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, no! The 81 is much cristalline (too much for me) the only dsimilarity is that both have the higher output of their class.

About the CC, the is the romour that actually Van Halen himself designed the PU and it should have become his signature model, but before this could happen he switched to dimarzio, I think when the Ernie Ball Music Man went into production in 1991...

[/ QUOTE ]

So how would you compare the Distortion with the 81? In terms of relative amount of bass/mid/treble...etc.

Also, is the Distortion pretty much just a higher gain sibling of the JB (as I've read somewhere else)?

CC: yeah, I've read about that too... It's funny... I have had a CC lying around for a long time, and I've had a 5150 replica (with Duncan 59b) by Meanstreet for quite some time too, but didn't think of putting the CC in it. Maybe it's time... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I know the JB is regarded as one of the most versatile pickups out there... what about the Distortion? This guitar is gonna be my "versatile/SL-1 stand-in" guitar until I can save up for a SL-1 in the graphics I want... so I do need the pickups to be able to do the range of genres I mentioned in the initial post.

As for the CC, I'll put the one I already have in my 5150 replica. Since that is already my designated EVH guitar, I want to put something else in my DK-2 when it arrives.

Comment

Go for the distortion then. It's more versatile than it seems and it's got more lows than the JB, which is too trebly for my likes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              I've read somewhere that the Distortion is the passive equivalent of EMG-81? Is that a good description of it? IF it is, then I will stay away from it, 'cause I've already got a guitar with EMG-81 in it (DK2LE)

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, no! The 81 is much cristalline (too much for me) the only dsimilarity is that both have the higher output of their class.

About the CC, the is the romour that actually Van Halen himself designed the PU and it should have become his signature model, but before this could happen he switched to dimarzio, I think when the Ernie Ball Music Man went into production in 1991...

[/ QUOTE ]

So how would you compare the Distortion with the 81? In terms of relative amount of bass/mid/treble...etc.

Also, is the Distortion pretty much just a higher gain sibling of the JB (as I've read somewhere else)?

[/ QUOTE ]

1)Different. Very different...I think you can't compare EMGs with passive PUs, tome the 81 is very sterile, the distortion is a completetly different concept: high gain PU got through overwinding the bobbins

2)No, the Distortion is VERY different from the JB, much better in my opinion, Randy in his RR was using a distortion, when I bought my RR1 I htought it had the same PU but I was wrong...i never got his tone with the JB (I hate it! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img])

As you see around, the CC is beloved by its users, and it's very versatile,I can play G'n'R, EVH, metallica, Iron maiden with that PU...
              '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
              '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
              '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
              '92 Fender Strat scallop
              '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
              '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

hmm...

In that case, I'll install a Distortion into my Bengal RR1 (has the 59/JB combo right now)for the Rhoads sound, and probably put a CC into the DK-2...

Thanks to all the great ideas and suggestions people have given me, I think that's the pup combo I'll settle with [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

full shred probably gets the best rhoads sound... I got one specifically to get his tone (based on the SD tone charts) and it worked VERY well

i had one in my rhoads! heh..

Comment

I love my Distortion, I have gone through every damn pickup out there from Lawrence to Lundgren, I think I have spent more on pickups this year than I have on equipment in 2 years. It can go from a smooth spanky clean(split) to a nice huge chunky dist. I have finally found my pickup.

Comment

Working...
                    X