Need Opinions: DXMG or DK2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Opinions: DXMG or DK2?

I've been comparing these 2 guitars for a week now, and I need to ask which is a better value? I know these are similar(same trem, etc), but there seem to be big differences, like pickups, headstock(regular or reverse), finish, body wood, and hardware color. I guess I'm not used to a reverse headstock just yet, but they seem pretty cool the more I look at them. DK2? I'm not crazy about chrome hardware on the solid colors, though I could get used to that too... Any opinions? I'd be glad to listen. Also, it'll be my first Jackson. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Need Opinions: DXMG or DK2?

DXMG is what I would choose simply because I have no use for 2 single coils. Sharkfins are not a big draw for me but I do like binding. Come to think of it, I really only use 1 humbucker but sadly there aren't any current production Jacksons with that setup. Either way I think you'll be happy. I have played both [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] expensive and [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] budget Jacksons and they were all nice to me.

Comment

I appreciate the reply, Widowmaker. Now that you mention it, I've not been that big on single coils either.
      What would you say about reverse headstocks? Do they get in the way of your playing (bumping into amps while sitting, etc) or are they ok? They seem cool.

Comment

I had a reverse headstock on a Rhoads 7 string. The only thing I did not like was I had to reach around to tune it/restring, etc. However, that did not stop me from just getting a trans black JS30 w/ reverse headstock. You'll like whatever you get, trust me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

In that case, I believe I'll lean towards the DXMG. I have one last question: I read that the DXMG pickups are EMG HZ's. They aren't specific to the type of HZ (H-1, H-4, etc.). Is that known? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

HZ = Hi-Z = high impedance

They're passive EMG's. They sound kinda trebly to me, not quite active EMG output but still strong. Not great pickups, not bad pickups. I'd go for a DXMG over a DK2 also.

Comment

Wes, not all of the DK-2's come with chrome hardware,

http://www.guitarxpress.com/cgibin/w...57103376098.4f
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

i also want either a dxmg or a Dk-2 here is what i have found out about each,
                'DXMG has a alder body,all black hardware,JT580lp trem,and EMG hz pups. it has a slightly thicker neck than the DK-2 and a reverse headstock.
                the DK-2 also uses a alder body,chrome hardware! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] which i feel makes the DK look cheap and chessy!it also jt580lp trem and duncan designed pups(copies of the duncan JB,and ssl-1's)it has a neck that is the same dimensions as a ibanez wizard II(19mm at the 1st fret and 21 at the 12th)
                I have been told that the DXMG gets a better,more solid tone? with either i would change the pups and put on a OFR which fits with no mods:bang:

Comment

I'm going with a DXMG myself. I own a DK2 and will not part with it. Over time my DK2 will end up with an OFR, but already has a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge and let me tell you, it shreds hardcore! I want the grey DXMG. It will be mine unless Winter NAMM brings us something extraordinary....................anyone listening?

Comment

Originally posted by Wes:
                    In that case, I believe I'll lean towards the DXMG. I have one last question: I read that the DXMG pickups are EMG HZ's. They aren't specific to the type of HZ (H-1, H-4, etc.). Is that known? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">H 3's //Steve

Comment

I believe the DK2 has a poplar body and not an alder body. I have a DK2 and that's what it has. It is super light, the lightest axe I've ever picked up.

Comment

Originally posted by skotrod:
                        I believe the DK2 has a poplar body and not an alder body. I have a DK2 and that's what it has. It is super light, the lightest axe I've ever picked up.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the older ones were poplar,but jackson says the newer ones are ALDER?
                        http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/g...rtno=DK2_Dinky
                        click on (VIEW) for specs [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

[ September 05, 2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: randyvanmalmsteen ]

Comment

for the money there isnnot a better guitar on the market than a dk2 i have never played such a well made and great sounding guitar. i will get another one very soon

Comment

I have both the DK2 and a DXMG.

Just to put it into perspective, I also have a US DK1

I'd have to honestly say that I play my DXMG far more than any of the others.

There's something about the neck that feels just a little bit smoother than the others.

Plus, I think it looks killer with bound neck, rev headstock. If it had REAL MOP inlay and headstock logo like the DK1 it would be perfect.

All that said, you really can't go wrong with either guitar, they're so close, I'd say go for the one that looks the best to you.

[ September 06, 2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

While the chrome JT580 of the DK-2 looks cheap (and I thought it was a crappy trem), the wood is good, and that's all that matters. Save a coupla hundred bucks after you buy one and slap a black OFR if that's your preference.
                              Or you can go crazy and make it your own personal Killing Machine like I did:

OFR, Duncan Distortion bridge, standard DK2 single in the middle, neck pickup routed for a hummer with a Duncan Custom in it, maple-boarded reverse headstock Jackson DK Pro neck with bloody overlay decals [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X