Confused about my DXMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about my DXMG

Well today when this band I am in now were practicing a slight problem occured. The locknut for strings 1 and 2 popped off. I didn't understand because I had it locked down. Turns out the screw holding it down cracked! I don't know how I can get it out and my step dad suggested buying a whole new locknut. I would like some recommendations on what I can do to fix the problem. I haven't had this thing for even two months and I purchased it from OSG.

Re: Confused about my DXMG

I'm sure there are ways to get the screw out. However, the guitar is probably still covered by warranty, so I suggest you speak to Matt at OSG first and hear if he has any advice. You may also want to post this in the Tech Q&A forum.

[ September 01, 2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Sunbane ]

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Dave:
      Well today when this band I am in now were practicing a slight problem occured. The locknut for strings 1 and 2 popped off. I didn't understand because I had it locked down. Turns out the screw holding it down cracked! I don't know how I can get it out and my step dad suggested buying a whole new locknut. I would like some recommendations on what I can do to fix the problem. I haven't had this thing for even two months and I purchased it from OSG.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">tell Matt from OSG about it he'll get ya a new one , if not Kevin Easton will hook ya up for 20 bucks for the whole nut http://www.eastonguitars.com , definatly get the whole nut for your guitar and on the other nut chuck the broken part and salvage the working parts for some stock parts for your collection man ! //Steve

Comment

Remove the nut and go after the broken screw with a very small flathead screwdriver (like the little eyeglass repair kits have). You should be able to work it all the way out if you go at it from the bottom.
        If there's enough sticking up to get it with a small magnet, try twisting it out.
        www.stewmac.com has the individual nut screws.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I broke a lock nut screw on my DXMG as well with surprisingly little effort.

I didn't have a big problem removing it and about $1 at the local hardware shop got me a much higher quality replacement (for all 3)

Comment

Y'know, *I* just busted my E and B locknut screw as well...

WTF is going on?? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I'm thinking they used cheaper metal in the locknut on the DXMG as my DK-2 never did this.

This is the first flaw I've found in the DXMG...

Comment

can I ask you dudes a question ? how are you breaking it ? over tightning ? or does it just snap on it's own , heres Brian McDonalds email addy email him and tell him about this problem he'll get it straightend out for ya , he's the product manager for Jackson Brian McDonald [email protected] //Steve

Comment

if it's a huge problem get a tech to put in a real floyd nut they go for 50 bucks Canadian up here so probably 40/35 bucks us , I don't know how much that is in Kr's though . //Steve

Comment

Nope, not overtightening. Just doing a simple lockdown after a string change, gave it a 'snug turn' with the wrench and "snap!"

I've worked with a lot of things mechanical/metal (heh, heh! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] ) over the years and to me, those allen heads looked like really cheap metal in the way that they broke - not a stretch-then-break, just a pot metal-like snap.

Like I said, about a buck at the local hardware emporium got high quality replacements, so it wasn't worth calling/emailing Jackson about.

As this was a 2001 DXMG, pre-Fender, I assume that Fender will have done their own Quality check on the hardware being spec'd for the import line since the buy-out.

Or they should have.

Normie

Comment

I love my DXMG no question. I had a bunch of people over at my house jaming and what not. I plugged into my half stack and the other guys were tuned in drop D so I had the E and A locknut unlocked. I hit an open power chord just to test my volume and adjust according to everyone and then the thing popped off. At first I thought it was just unlocked and just fell out but then I picked it up and then looked at the nut and relized half of it was still in there. I hope anyone looking at this thread that is thinking about buying a DXMG doesn't take this the wrong way. They are very good guitars, and unbeatable at the price. This is only a very minor thing and I still play although I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

Comment

I've stripped out a few locking screws in my time from over tightening, but I've never had one or even heard of one actually breaking! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Just go to a guitar shop or hardware store and stock up on some new ones.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Normie:
                        Nope, not overtightening. Just doing a simple lockdown after a string change, gave it a 'snug turn' with the wrench and "snap!"

I've worked with a lot of things mechanical/metal (heh, heh! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] ) over the years and to me, those allen heads looked like really cheap metal in the way that they broke - not a stretch-then-break, just a pot metal-like snap.

Like I said, about a buck at the local hardware emporium got high quality replacements, so it wasn't worth calling/emailing Jackson about.

As this was a 2001 DXMG, pre-Fender, I assume that Fender will have done their own Quality check on the hardware being spec'd for the import line since the buy-out.

Or they should have.

Normie
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">see if you can put real floyd allen screws in there I've tryed it in the past and it worked haven't tryed it for 10 years or so though . //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Dave:
                          I love my DXMG no question. I had a bunch of people over at my house jaming and what not. I plugged into my half stack and the other guys were tuned in drop D so I had the E and A locknut unlocked. I hit an open power chord just to test my volume and adjust according to everyone and then the thing popped off. At first I thought it was just unlocked and just fell out but then I picked it up and then looked at the nut and relized half of it was still in there. I hope anyone looking at this thread that is thinking about buying a DXMG doesn't take this the wrong way. They are very good guitars, and unbeatable at the price. This is only a very minor thing and I still play although I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">cheap allen screws hey , thats totally lame man ! best of luck //Steve

Comment

Hey, for all you guys... what are the serialnumbers from those who popped their lockingnutscrews? It could be a flaw that occurs only in a particular series. I am a bit suspicious about when mine will snap.

Comment

Quote:
                              --------------------------------------------------

see if you can put real floyd allen screws in there I've tryed it in the past and it worked haven't tryed it for 10 years or so though . //Steve

--------------------------------------------------

Yeah, It still works. Just visit your local dealer and pick up some Schaller replacements. If anyone in the UK (or Europe) can`t find any locally, just drop me a line as I keep them in stock at all times.

Comment

Working...
                              X