Value of Rhoads Performer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of Rhoads Performer?

I was in a local pawn shop today and they had a Rhoads behind the counter. From a distance, I thought the headstock said "Professional." upon closer examination, it was a Performer. The asking price?

$400.00!

It was/had:

Bolt-on Neck
    Dot Inlays
    Jackson Trem (JT500, I think)

I explained to the person behind the counter that this guitar should fetch from $200-250.00.

Was I right or do I now lose my guitar pricing license?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Value of Rhoads Performer?

I' d say $125 - 200.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Were the 12th fret dots far apart or close together? Close=Japan, far=India=crap.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

the wider spaced dots would denote a Korean Performer, not Indian. IIRC
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Performers were NEVER made in India, only Korea and Japan. The Korean ones aren't as crappy as an Indian, but I've been told they have a tendency to have the neck go flying off and impale small animals.

If it's a Japanese Performer I'd say $150-$300 depending on condition. See if you can talk them down to $200 or so. It's a pawn shop after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
            Performers were NEVER made in India, only Korea and Japan. The Korean ones aren't as crappy as an Indian, but I've been told they have a tendency to have the neck go flying off and impale small animals.

If it's a Japanese Performer I'd say $150-$300 depending on condition. See if you can talk them down to $200 or so. It's a pawn shop after all.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I never knew they made Korean ones [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] anyway I'd say 300 with case maybe 250 cause I am thinking canadian //Steve

Comment

I didn't either. We were selling a truckload of seconds and Kevin mentioned we should be careful with the Performers in case any of the necks snapped off and went flying across the room. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Korean production didn't last very long, apparently. To give you an idea how crappy they were... they still get guitars from India, you know? [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Here's a Korean PS-3. Note the wider 12th fret dots and serial number starting in "10xxxxxx". And check out that sexy scarf joint, all ready for quick disassembly. Just watch out for flying shards. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                  Here's a Korean PS-3. Note the wider 12th fret dots and serial number starting in "10xxxxxx". And check out that sexy scarf joint, all ready for quick disassembly. Just watch out for flying shards. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, those dots are far apart; so far, I can't even see them...

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                    Were the 12th fret dots far apart or close together? Close=Japan, far=India=crap.

Newc
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They were far apart. Also, all of the dot markers were centered, not like the X series where they're placed at the top of the fingerboard.

Comment

I might also add that it had that lightweight, "cheapie" feel to it. You know that twangy feel like an X-Series? Like that.

Comment

well, that was strange. Here's the link
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                          well, that was strange. Here's the link
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's it, except this one has the JT-500 trem.

Comment

I bought a Korean PS3 on eBay Australia not long ago for $550 ($370US). I overpaid, because at the time I didn't know the differnce between the Korean of Japanese models. It had an EMG81 in the bridge, os that could have ben part of it.

Upon arrival it was actually a pretty nice player, and it came in this nice hard case. It had a crack in the neck, which I don't recall being disclosed in the auction, but I planned on replacing the neck eventually anyway, so I didn't bother following it up.

What really sucks though, is that the Rhoads shape puts me in a different playing position, both sitting and standing, which hurts my fretting hand. So it has basically been sitting in the case, having about 6 hours playing time in one month. I have had a few people express interest in it, so I'll see what happens. Perhaps I can sell it for what I paid (not likely [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ).

Comment

I've got a PS3T and I extremely love it!!!
                              it is a great player and the action is simply awesome!! never had probs with that trem and it feels really great to me.

as far as the price goes I know about matt offering one for 250. good to go!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                              X