Just got my DKMGT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my DKMGT

Well, I got my DKMGT from Fedex today which came as a surprise since I didn’t think I would have it until the middle of next week. It turns out Music123 has a warehouse in IN and myself residing in IL only took them a day to get it here.

My first impressions were "WOW what a sharp looking guitar" but after looking it over inch by inch I have a few gripes. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The binding looks sloppy in some places especially at the head where theres an unbound spot. Then theres a part of the body where the neck meets that isn’t painted (see picture below), but other than that everything looks okay.

Besides these small imperfections I really like the guitar. The neck feels awesome! I'm in love every time I pick it up. The piranha inlays look great and the solid black just completes the package.

I have yet to play it since I want to get it set up by a pro first. The action is so low that im getting major fret buzz on the top two strings.

Overall, im happy that I finally own a Jackson, but im kinda disappointed in the quality control. Has anyone else had similar issues with their DKMG or am I the only one? Is this the type of quality I should expect from a $400 guitar? I just expected more since its made in Japan.

I'm thinking about returning it, but I don’t know if I should since nothing is really damaged on their part. Let me know what you think I should do. Thanks.

Re: Just got my DKMGT

Congrats!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] For a brand new guitar, it should be close to perfect. Sometimes things do slip through QC, but I'd send it back and have them ship you a new one (they should even pick up the shipping since it's not in tip-top shape). Then again, it won't stay in mint shape forever and will get some wear and maybe you'll ding it here or there. It's up to you if you can get past the minor imperfections. If it's going to bug you, send it back.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
      Then again, it won't stay in mint shape forever and will get some wear and maybe you'll ding it here or there. It's up to you if you can get past the minor imperfections. If it's going to bug you, send it back.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I thought the same thing. In time it will eventually get wear here and there, but right now I want it to be in perfect shape considering its supposed to be new.

Another gripe I forgot to add was how the guitar was packaged. It was in its original "Jackson" rectangular box, but inside that box is another trapezoid shaped box that had no support around it. When I picked it up you could hear the second box inside swing back and forth. Then as I pulled it out right away I noticed the tape that once sealed the box was cut. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Now why would a brand new guitar have its tape cut on the inside box? It wasn’t too reassuring to see. I also couldn’t find any documentation inside the box. No warranty card, no literature, nothing. I'm going to call their customer service today and demand a replacement and I'll be damned if I pay shipping back to them. I paid for a brand new guitar and it looks as though I got something second hand. Not happy. [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Give 'em hell teznic!!! I sure wouldn't put up with it. Besides, if you expected the guitar by sometime next week and you send this one back, then get one worth keeping within that time frame, you don't lose out at all.
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I talked to customer service today and they're going to send out a new replacement as soon as they get mine back, no questions asked. They're also paying for shipping too. I was expecting more of a hard time, but the woman I spoke with was understanding and took care of everything without a hassle.

Since it only took them a day to get it here I should have a replacement by next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Originally posted by bombtek:
          Give 'em hell teznic!!! I sure wouldn't put up with it. Besides, if you expected the guitar by sometime next week and you send this one back, then get one worth keeping within that time frame, you don't lose out at all.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Good job man, hopefully you'll get a much better guitar. From jackson that is somefin I would not expect, but I have heard a few things about their imports. BUT I would expect those problems from any OTHER $400 guitar, just not a Jackson.

Comment

Cool. Glad it's being taken care of for you! Post more pics when you get it!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I sure will. Right now I only have pics of the defects. Enjoy!

Comment

Well they finally emailed me the shipping label yesterday, and I shipped it out today. Now I just wait. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

Good luck man, I hope everything works out. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

My replacement came in today! It turns out they didn’t have any more of the solid black in stock, so I was able to work out a deal on the last trans-green they had. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This is an awesome color. I highly recommend the transparent finishes. I thought at first that they had sent me a black by mistake since I caught a glimpse of the back first, but the green was very noticeable once I turned it around. Very sharp looking guitar.

The good news is this guitar didn’t have half as many problems as the first one I received. The bad news is I found another problem with the binding at the headstock. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] While the binding is certainly better on this one I was still able to find a hairline separation thats almost an inch long. Is this something to worry about? Could it get worse in the future the more its played? I just don’t see where QC comes in with problems like this. Has anyone else had problems with their binding or am I just unlucky twice in a row?

I'm debating what I should do here. Everything else looks good so far its just the binding that bothers me. What do you guys think I should do? It seems like I keep getting the crap end of the stick. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[ October 09, 2003, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: teznic ]

Comment

Does anybody have a Cobalt Blue Swirl DKMG??? If you do, can you post a pic as I want to see what it really looks like compared to the magazines. I think I'm going to either by a Eerie Dess Swirl DK-2 or a Cobalb Blue Swirl DKMG, which one should I buy guys???

Comment

Hey, I got like the same problem with the binding on my DXMG. It is very well done except on the bottom of the (r) headstock. I am thinking about fixing it myself with a little fillerliquid. It is not a big hole but it is noticable because of the shadow in between. I figured that if I put in some white or transparant material it'll become fairly invisible. Someone have a suggestion of what to use?

Ize

Comment

My problem is with the edges of the headstock. One edge looks like it wasn’t filled completely and the other edge has a hairline gap about an inch long. It isn’t noticeable unless you look closely, but being a perfectionist it tends to bother me. Other than that the rest of the binding is perfect. I don’t know why I keep seeing quality issues only in the headstock.

I'm going to stop at GC on my way home from work to get some cables, so I'll check out their floor model DKMGT and DXMG to see if they have the same problems. I'm also going to email Kevin at Easton Guitars to see what he thinks.

Comment

Well, have you checked them at GC? And does anyone have suggestions about fixing the binding?

Comment

Working...
                              X