Kelly Std.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Std.?

I'm planning on buying this Kelly Std. I found. I have a Rhoads Ex. Pro, are they from the same series? I'm basically looking for the same guitar as my rhoads, but with a kelly body. can anyone comment on the quality of these?

Re: Kelly Std.?

If I remember correctly, the Std line is the same as EX line... EX is what they were called in the earlier 90's, up til '94 or '95, then name was changed to Std. As for quality, I'd say it would be very similar to your Rhoads EX.

Comment

Thanks man. actually I think i'll pass onthis and wait till I can afford a Ke-1. that is if i ever can find one..

Comment

I have one. Quality is great. The neck has nice flame to it. Playability as good as my eighties soloist. The trem isn't fantastic though. Every time I try playing any of the newer imports I get dissapointed because I haven't found any that are as nice.

Comment

The Kelly Standard was actually my first Jackson that I bought in the early '90s. It was a cool guitar, but I didn't keep it very long since I wasn't into low-profile trems at the time. The white plastic dot inlays were kinda cheesy, too, but it was a pretty nice guitar overall.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was planning on switching the neck perhaps for one from a DK-1 or even just a ke-3 neck if I could find one. but would that defeat the purpose of buying this, because I think the best features of the early imports like this is that the neck are really nice for an import. would i just be better off buying a KE-3 in that situation?

I was planning on removing the neck pickup, filling the cavity with blocks shims and filler, and then repainting the entire guitar for a 1-pickup setup

Comment

A nice bolt-on Kelly import would be a mid '90s XL or XLR. I used to own a black XLR, and RacerX on this board had a black XL. The only difference is the XLR has a reverse headstock and reverse sharkfins, the XL has regular sharkfins and headstock. Here's a pic of an XLR I found online.

Comment

The XL's are a bit more expensive to obtain though, and I dont like the metal flake kinda finishes they tend to have.. I'm thinking of gettinga mid 90's ke3

Comment

I think only that green one is a metallic color. The black ones definitely were not. How much are you looking to spend? When I got my XLR off ebay a few years back, I paid somewhere between $300- $400, if I remember correctly.

Comment

The most I can spend is 500$. but i already bought a replacement neck , the guitarshopsupply.net one, for 100.. so i have 400$ left. i'll probly get a kelly std. or a ke-3, because there aren't any xl's on ebay right now..

Comment

I bought a KE3 for $195 + s&h and bolted a DK-1 neck up to it. The KE3 was just black, with some tip damage but the face and back of the body are in good shape. I sold the KE3 neck for $150 (it was in very good shape) and the chrome hardware for $100. So the body and pickups/electronics cost me -$50. Can't beat that.

Comment

Where did you get that KE-3? I have a feeling this one is going to run me about 400, but we'll see. hopefully none of you guuys try to beat me :P

How much was the Dk-1 neck? or was it just something you had laying around..
                        I already bought a guitarshopsupply.net neck. it is very nice..

Comment

The KE3 I got on the bay. I found it with a BIN right after it was listed. No case, however. I'm still looking for a case. The guy said the neck had no use, but how can the body be used and not the neck (replacement?). I think he just had it set up - there was no fret wear. I see KE3's pulling in big bucks some times, and nothing other times.

DK-1 neck with black tuners and nut set me back $210 shipped, and a black Tak Floyd Pro was $45.

If I were to do it again, I'd try to score an XL or some sort of older Kelly with shark inlays and binding. Some are a good deal, with EMG's and a case - you have to factor in everything in the package.

Comment

Yeah, true. i'm selling my rhoads on ebay right now in a very complete package.. seymour duncans and new floyd, but also includes the old pickups and floyd, and case..

Comment

Working...
                            X