Thinnest neck/ DK2 vs. DX10D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinnest neck/ DK2 vs. DX10D

I am hoping my fellow Jackson lovers can help me out on this one.

I want a new Jackson with the thinnest neck around, like my DR3. I fell in love with that neck, and since then, my Strat has sat in the corner gathering dust. That neck is glossy and thin, and I love it. The Ibanez necks are nice too, but Ibanez is crap compared to Jackson, IMO.

Now I want a new Jackson, and since Fender bought them out, I am scared the necks will get fatter. I played the DXMG and the DKMG-nice guitars, but they did not have the neck I wanted. They seemed fatter than the old Dinky necks like my DR3.

So, I figure I will get a DK2 or a DX10D. Question is-which has a thinner neck or are they the same? The official Jackson web site was not much help, so I am hoping you guys can help me out.

First, what is the thinnest neck of the new import Jackson models- is it the DX10D or the DK2? Or are they the same?

Second, beside the pickup configuration, what is the difference between the DK2 and the DX10D? I am assuming both models are newer post fender models made in Japan, not in India.

You folks are a wealth of information, and I love this forum.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Re: Thinnest neck/ DK2 vs. DX10D

I looked on the official Jackson site again, and it said that the DK2 neck is .735" at the first fret and .810" at the 12 fret. The DX10D is .745" at the 1st fret, and .820" at the 12 fret. I assume that means the DK2 is thinner? What does that measurement mean?

Comment

I've had all 3 guitars.

DK2, DXMG and a DX10D.

I thought they all pretty much felt and played the same. (Even if Jackson says they're different, I can't tell)

The necks felt the same to me, the difference is very slight, you may not like the DK2 if you didn't like the others.

I got rid of the DX10D because of the build quality, cosmetics/hardware not as good as the other two.

My personal favorite is the DXMG, I think it looks better, I think the EMG-HZ pickups sound nicer than even higher end duncans.

Just my opinion, based on owning 3 import dinkies and one USA one.

[ November 21, 2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Thanks 2Loud. I had a sinking feeling the DX10D might not be quite as good as a DK2. I was hoping that the DX10D was close to the same, since I want 2 humbuckers, an EMG 81/85 or EMG 81/60 put in. Can't do that with a DK2, since it has single pickups.

A number of people in the forum say that they notice little difference in the various Jackson necks, but I'd swear that my DR3 is considerably thinner than any other Jackson I have played.

I'd really like a DK1, and Easton had a decent price, but $1200 is a bit much for me since I have a family and all.

So, maybe I will figure out another pickup option since the DK2 sounds like the ticket.

Thanks again 2Loud. I think I'll cut the DX10D out of the equation.

Any other opinions?

Comment

The JS30's have the thinnest necks of any Jacksons I've ever played. The problem is that they also vary in thickness more than any other model. I picked up one that had a neck that would put an Ibanez Wizard to shame.

Comment

I played a DX10D, and I said I would buy one after I played it. for me, since access to parts is not hard, I could put good pickups, nice bridge, and USA electronics in it.

The build quality was fine on it for an import. Inlays were nice, paint was good, and the fretwork was very nice, a quick dress with some 320 grit, then some steel wool, then maybe a emory paper, or micro mesh would do it well.

Comment

Didn`t the Stealth have a very thin neck? Jack.

Comment

I've got a DX10D, it seems pretty thin.

Comment

got a DX10D too , i like it , i think it's more versatile then the DXMG. seemed to me DXMG was only good for metal ... can be wrong though

i like the neck on kinda all jacksons

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B:
                    got a DX10D too , i like it , i think it's more versatile then the DXMG. seemed to me DXMG was only good for metal ... can be wrong though

i like the neck on kinda all jacksons
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Umm.. Do you OWN a DXMG?!?, Have you actually PLAYED a DXMG?!?

I've had a DX10D, so I think it's a decent guitar for the price, but it is in NO CONCEIVABLE WAY, a superior guitar.it's not even an equal guitar.

Lets see, really, really CRAPPY pickups, fit and finish are sloppy, compared to a DX or DK guitar, not to mention cheap bridge. Indian made guitars are pretty inferior to Jap guitars, my DX10D was proof of that.

And, how.. in your opinion, is a DX10D more versatile than a DXMG, on what grounds do you base this opinion on.????

Comment

HOLY FREAKIN THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:
                        HOLY FREAKIN THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Uh huh! And I thought I went back a ways a couple of times. Not to this extreme, though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Got much grief for it too! Tell'em it's ok and press on.............
                        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
                        X