Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new gear - rhoads modding :) / need help with trems

Hi
    about 7 hours ago i bought a rhoads pro standard [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ( specs and shit in rhoads pro ... )

first of all i was / i am a trem hater , but i thought as i bought a gtr with trem i won't be like all the guys who bought a trem and blocked it and i'll learn to use it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

but

i've some ideas of modding it :

EMG's of course [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

and WHAT TREM SHOULD I INSTALL
    (i have now the jp 590 or whatever - same as in every japanese jackson .

Shaller FR
    Gotoh FR
    Original FR
    or leave it (?? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

i heard good things about gotoh
    also the shaller should be good - they are doing it in the same factory as OFR from what i've heard , and shaller's are supposed to sound nicer ( not cutting tone as much )

Os there really any purpose on paying for an OFR ?

future modding maybe binding / ebony ( but i'll think about [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

could you help me with those questions

Re: my new gear - rhoads modding / need help with trems

You definately got a good deal there.......The only things you should modify are the trem and pickups. Changing fretboards on your guitar would cost more than the guitar itself. If you want to upgrade later on to a better guitar, then do it later, but for now, just stick with the pickup upgrade............The trem is a JT580LP, and it blows, but if you never use it, you'll probobly forget its even there.......

Comment

Yeah, if you don't actually use the trem-bar, you can just leave the 580LP on there and not worry. If you rest your hand against the bridge when playing, blocking it might be a good idea though.

'bane

Comment

what exactly blows about the standard jackson trem?

i have the same one on my kelly and i can slamm the hell out of it and it says in tune fine i say leave it. EMGs is a idea tho!

Comment

Don't listen to him he likes to be contrary. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] J/K

Everyone has their own opinion on the JT580LP, no one is right or wrong.

Here's my take.

I have 3 Jacksons with the JT580LP

For normal use, IE: 3 hours a day I've had no problems, 1 trem is over a year old, no stripped screws, sharp knife edges, no grooves in the string blocks, no problems - stays in tune great.

I have 4 other guitars with what is considered the best locking trem, the Floyd Rose (Original, or OFR as some call it)

To be honest, I think the Jackson trem works just as well, I notice no real difference in tunning stability or tone. It is made of better material, perhaps more robust, but I have no intention of replacing my Jackson trems with OFRs and have been using locking trems since 87. ( I do my own setups 98 percent of the time I have had no problems with any of Jackson's trems)

All that said, I don't gig proffesionaly and I don't generaly yank the crap out of my trem either.

Other people will strongly disagree I'm sure, but I think the Jackson trem works pretty well, why not live with it for awhile.

Comment

i'm considering this with exchanging my fretboard because my friend ( a very good luthier btw ) said it would cost about 150 / maybe 200 bucks so it won't cost more than a guitar ( that's the pplus when u live in Poland heheheh ) but won't it damage the gtr ? ( BTW it's a very far future [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] , so i'm asking just in case i'll have extra cash )

EMG's [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) ok trying to throw up 81 in the bridge @ first

and what's with gotoh / shaller ? nobody mentioned it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

btw extremely nice guitar ( altough i know there are better ) - played it to 2 am [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

btw serial number j 90xxxx OR j 30xxxx ( i can't really read it hheheh ) - what can i learn from this serial number ?

Comment

Working...
            X