Is my Jackson genuine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Jackson genuine?

Hi all I was invited to this forum by "Number Of The Priest", I am glad it exists, I had no knowledge of it.

I have a question about my Jackson Kelly, I have one with a 'Made In Japan' sticker at the base of the neck (rear) and it has the serial number on a
    clear sticker on the rear of the headstock J008262 and no neck plate where the neck joins the body.

A friend has a Jackson King V with a Jackson logo and serial number stamped on a neck plate which has got me thinking about the authenticity of my
    Jackson.

Mine has Duncan Designed pick ups (102's, why such a metal looking guitar does not have 103's has got me beat), Jackson - Floyd Rose licensed tremelo, pearl type sharkfin inlays which point up and upright headstock (not reversed).

I assume the Korean or imitation models do not have these features, though why doesn't mine have a neckplate?

I'm just wondering if mine is an original Jackson or has it been Frankensteined?

The Jackson website has no contact details for me to verify this, which I think is poor.

Cheers

s

[ November 27, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: stephenslr ]

Re: Is my Jackson genuine?

It's extremely unlikely that your guitar is a forgery. It may indeed be a parts guitar, assembled from a variety of genuine Jackson parts, but I don't know. Kellys sometimes didn't use neck plates, instead the serial number was on the sticker like you said.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Is it a neckthrough?

Comment

Does it say professional on the headstock?
        If so its an older KE3. They didnt have neck plates but had four recessed screw holes with cupped bushings. (basically washers) that go under the screw heads to keep them from breaking into the wood of the bodu and wrecking the guitar.
        Sweet axes. Real thin necks.
        Gil

Comment

It does say Professional on the headstock and has the cupped screws recessed into the body as well as a thin neck just like you say.

It is not a neck through.

I would attach a photo though cannot find an upload function here.

s

Comment

It's legit. They do in fact just use a serial number sticker on the no-neckplate Kelly imports. I've seen a few of them.
            sigpic

Comment

thanks for your replies.

I think the sticker on the headstock should be improved to a better system. What were they thinking?

What concerns me is that if the guitar is stolen (as many are) how easy is it to remove the sticker?

I think I might have it engraved somewhere.

Comment

Hey buddy, welcome!!! You finally made it in!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Just didn't expect you to post in the "Import Jackson Guitars" forum... I don't usually visit this part of the board, for some weird reason!

Yeah, I forgot to tell you in my e-mails that my serial number is also stickered onto the back of the headstock, and the front of the headstock says "Professional" next to "Jackson" on it. I also have the four recessed screws.

To share pictures, what people on here usually do it to upload their files to www.onlinerock.com (sign up for a free account) and post the link here. It's actually very easy. I'll be able to tell you if your Kelly is the same as mine or not if I see pictures.

Enjoy your stay on the boards... remember, this place is addicting, informative, and utterly hilarious. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Once I register with onlinerock.com what do I do next, create a web site?

Which section do I go to download photos?

s

Comment

I received this from KEvin from Easton guitars.

Stephen,

the reason for the sticker is that when we designed the new KE3 we decided to go with no plate and had to place all sn#'s on the sticker.

It is real for sure so no worries. It is one of several models that had no neck plate/serial plate on it. That one was made in Japan in 2000 from the serial number (J008262).

--
                    I told him that my guitar was purchased in 97, here is his reply.
                    --

97? Wow. Hmm, usually the first 2 digits are year production. However, obviously there are exceptions to the rule.

Long Live Rock and Roll,
                    KEvin

I wonder if the KE is from his name?

s

Comment

Yup - KE 3. And it's not named after him, it's the 2-letter model code for the Kelly model, just like Soloists are known as SL, Dinkys are DK, Warriors are WR, Rhoads is RR, King V is KV, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc (hey, I did 7 of them smoothly before I 'tripped' [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Who was the Kelly named after?

s

Comment

Brad Kelly - guitarist for Heaven, a Metal band from Australia.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I had a Professional Kelly XLR (reverse headstock, reverse sharkfins, cream binding on the neck and headstock) and it also had no neckplate, the serial number was on a sticker on the back of the headstock. It was either a '95 or '96. I believe Ron (RacerX) on this board has a regular Kelly XL that's the same, except his has standard headstock and inlays.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You are correct, sir! I'm holding my black Kelly XL right now....no neckplate, Made in Japan on a sticker on the back of the neck (back of 17th fret). Serial# J005932 on a sticker on back of headstock. JT580 trem, one volume knob only. Also, my Kelly has an EMG81 in the bridge position and is signed by Megadeth circa 1999 (The Daves, Marty, and Jimmy DG.). Might be for sale soon. Gonna go play it now!
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X