• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y2KV Import bolt on?

hi,

A guy I know is selling a:

Jackson Y2KV flag  
    s/n: 9678195

But the odd thing is that its a bolt on! If you'd like to see pictures click here --> http://www.theshredzone.com/cgi-bin/...num=1070402443

He wants 1000.000. I contact a shop called Drum Land out of state and they said they sold them for 699.99. Bad thing is that it is signed by Dave Muastaine. I don't want an autograph, I want the guitar to play! So I'd just rub it off anyways. So am I getting ripped off?

Re: Y2KV Import bolt on?

Thanks. Ya I got a quote from an online retailer that these sold for 699.99. I'm gonna try and talk him down. I don't think the extra money for an autograph i'm going to rub off is worth it.

So why did they disco the Y2KV? Are they goning to bring it back under a different name?

Comment

Lotta threads on that one, eh. Search function works well! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Try in Artists and Gen J/C
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It's real. IIRC, the Y2KV was going to go into Japanese production but the response was fairly underwhelming. Whether it's worth $1000 is up to you. If you want it and have the cash, go for it.

Comment

Yeah, it's an import-made bolt-on. IMHO $1,000 is a total f'n rip-off. Walk away. Then again, some people are gaga over Y2KVs, as they're a discontinued no-more model, and/or big Mustaine/Megadeth fans. Whether you pay a premium for those is a personal choice. Personally, I wouldn't pay anything near $1k.

Comment

Basically, Dave soured after FMIC bought Jackson and made them pull the model.

Comment

Then he cockblocks everyone out of them, by snagging all the produced ones...and selling is selling them now.

Comment

No, Fender has an agreement with Gibson that neither will produce the other's well-known shapes. No Fender LP's, no Gibson Tele's. This is why you also can't get a Jackson Explorer from the custom shop anymore. It has nothing to do with Mustaine.

Comment

Oh. So FMIC had to tell Dave "sorry, but we can't produce your sig-model to these specs anymore".(?)

'bane

Comment

Doesn't make sence. Jackson could still make em. its not like Dave owns the trademark design. they shoul re produce them. How were the sales numbers on the Y2kVs?

I don't see how Dave could dictate wither to make the guitar or not.

Comment

Dave DID design the body shape.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Seriously, BM? I've always thought that's why they instituted the "no Gibbys" rule, but never had any evidence of that fact.

And both companies ought to be careful about such "gentlemans' agreements". I'm no lawyer but, if I were counsel to either, I'd be concerned that it might creep uncomfortably close to illegal anti trust-like activity. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">...which also is a derivate off the Gibby V, which supposedly FMIC has agreed not to copy.

*nods* I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding a rerun of the Y2KV at all.

'bane

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Come on, Ron. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Even I'll admit that the Y2KV's body shape is a disturbingly close rip-off of Gibson's. At best, Dave's "design" originality went something to the effect of phoning the custom shop (...more likely KE) and saying "I want one like a Gibby, but with slightly thinner wings. And maybe a just a hair shorter, because I'm the runt o' my momma's litter." And then the custom shop spec'd it, built a few prototypes and Dave said "yeah, I like that one best."

Comment

Working...
                            X