Dr Newcenstein's Warbird2 Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Newcenstein's Warbird2 Rhoads

Ok, the Warbird1 graphic was an official Jackson designation, so I gotta go with Warbird2 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, here it is:

Jackson Rhoads EX body (Concept series? neck pocket is stamped 'EX', but the mounting holes are waaaaaaay at the back) and USA Jackson woodburn neck (thanks Brett!)

I did the logo and 'inlays' with window decals [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I like the way they came out [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now I just gotta get all the parts for it in one place [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The pic came out far more blue than it really is, making it look like Air Force camo, but it's got more gray and beige than blue. The bomb on the body is beige, as are the 'patches' around the pickups. The darker areas are gray, and the blue spots are way darker than the pic shows.

Dr Newcenstein
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Dr Newcenstein\'s Warbird2 Rhoads

Mad cool man! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Is this another fabric finish job, or did you paint it? I would've liked to see a matching headstock to that graphic though, but it rocks nonetheless.

Btw, it definately looks like an EX body. I don't think there was a concept Rhoads without the pickguard (?).

Take some pics under more normal lighting conditions once it's finished, so we can see how the colors should be. =)
    [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

I got the body off Ebay last week as-is. The graphic came out of a can, and it's not perfect, but then again it gives it a more 'authentic' look - like it was painted in the field by a grunt and is ready for use in the field [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I might do a headtock sticker of matching colors rather than try to paint it.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

You sure dropped a "bomb" on that one.

Great job! Nice to know we can count on you to never leave anything alone. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW.. how many guitars HAVEN'T you touched??? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Good question:

Lessee, going around the room:
          -Had an Explorer bullseyed, Kahler filled in (TOM/Stop)
          -Replaced bridge pickup on LP Standard
          -Replaced pickups in Dragon Dinky
          -Modded DK2 HRF to death
          -Shortened the nut of my Takamine acoustic
          -Put various parts mutts together
          -Upholstered a Mustaine Pro (twice) and changed it to TOM/Stop
          -Upholstered a Warmoth Star body
          -Upholstered a JSX-94 body
          -Decaled and stickered a Model 2 body (several times)
          -Put sticker inlays on a Kelly mutt, DK2, RR mutt (above)
          -Put an AT-1 neck on a Grover Jackson Roswell body
          -Swapped bass pickups
          -Swapped bass electronics (put Soloist Pro booster board in place of bass board)
          -Swapped Soloist pickups/board for EMGs
          -Enlarged tuner holes in a neck
          -Replaced neck on USA Roswell

So that means I haven't touched my JCF01 Rhoads, JacksonStars NASL, or my Pro Roswell - yet (cue soud of chainsaw revving twice) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          The NASL is getting gold pickup rings, though [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Eh.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
              I got the body off Ebay last week as-is. The graphic came out of a can, and it's not perfect, but then again it gives it a more 'authentic' look - like it was painted in the field by a grunt and is ready for use in the field [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I might do a headtock sticker of matching colors rather than try to paint it.

Newc
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't be lazy. Paint the headstock to match. Then put that logo on it in white. It looks great, but to be honest, it would look better with a rosewood or ebony board.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                Ok, the Warbird1 graphic was an official Jackson designation, so I gotta go with Warbird2 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, here it is:

Jackson Rhoads EX body (Concept series? neck pocket is stamped 'EX', but the mounting holes are waaaaaaay at the back) and USA Jackson woodburn neck (thanks Brett!)

I did the logo and 'inlays' with window decals [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I like the way they came out [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now I just gotta get all the parts for it in one place [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The pic came out far more blue than it really is, making it look like Air Force camo, but it's got more gray and beige than blue. The bomb on the body is beige, as are the 'patches' around the pickups. The darker areas are gray, and the blue spots are way darker than the pic shows.

Dr Newcenstein
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">sorry I forgot to say something , good shit man !!! I say that newc should take over the import line if fender is gonna change anything ! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

My god!
                  That is a lot of work! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

J.A.C.K.S.O.N.

what the hell is that? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

matt, what about when you put bass pups in a guitar, i think it was an explorer or maybe a star, hell i can't keep up with all the mods you do! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

RacerX - [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Zeegler - If it was rosewood, I couldn't do the bomb inlays, and it'd look stupid without 'em [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      And I don't have anywhere to paint the headstock, even with a spraycan.

Steve - I might submit these mutts to J/C/FMIC as a resume` [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

DJM - Hmmmmm. Gimme a minute to think of something [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Peabud - Actually I was trying to find a Strat pickguard that had a P-bass cut in the neck/middle area and a humbucker in the bridge - never did [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                      I kinda wish I still had my San Dimas bass with the hummer in the bridge - I'da put a Duncan Distortion or EMG 81 in it and learnt me some Motorhead [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

I hardly post here so I'm sure I'll get reemed, but I am a straight shooter so here it goes. NEWC, you have to stop with your own finishes. They are really awful and you are ruining good guitars. This finish is definitly a step up from the cloth ones you glued on, but it still looks pretty bad. I don't mean to insult you, but I am a painter and I am trying to be honest. Stick to shredding and let someone else do your refinishes. Again main, I say this to help not hurt. I was a horrible sculpter untill someone kicked my ass into reality, and now I stick with what I do best. Painting. Hope you take this the right way.

bilko

Comment

Bilko - I didn't paint the Rhoads - it came that way [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          I don't do paint - yet [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And thanks for the constructive criticism, but I bet your first efforts at painting were similar to my first attempts at refins (decals, stickers, and fabric) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

To date I've done 3 fabric jobs on guitars - the first was the Lab Rat - a JSX-94 body. It's horrible, but it taught me a lot and I got a feel for what to do and what NOT to do. The second was a Warmoth Star (Zebra fabric) and it came out better than the JSX, but it still had problems because it presented some different physical aspects (i.e. shape) than the JSX. The third and fourth were the DM KV Pro - first time was in Urban/Winter Camo, but I didn't like the way it came out, so I started over with Snakeskin (didn't have enough material for a second attempt at the Camo). The main problem with the Camo was the thickness of the material - it was made to be an outer shell of a winter coat or other similarly-long-lasting outerwear, so once it was put on the back of the neck, it was far too thick on the edges and hampered playing. Plus, it required too much patching in the curves because it had no elasticity.
                          The cotton Snakeskin, however, required less patching as it had greater elasticity. The patches were necessary because of the sharp curve between the points and at the headstock (shorter headstock than any other Jackson). The tension of the fabric in the curves pulled it away from the guitar, so I had to slice it to relieve the tension, then patch it with a matching pattern (almost perfect patch).
                          Add to that the fact that I wasn't able to jump straight from one to the other in the same day, or even the same week, and some of what was learned had to be re-learned as I went along.

Again, I do appreciate the honest critique, but I prefer to forge ahead with my efforts rather than stop trying simply because it doesn't come out perfect the first few times.
                          One day I will nail it perfectly, and every one after that will be perfect as well.

And I am not "ruining" these guitars. The things I do to them do not adversely affect playability (in the case of a couple of neck swaps, playability and tone actually improved over the original version). Resale value of an import means as much to me as a flea fart means to a flea. With the fabric finishes, I do take the weight of the fabric into account, as I know a heavy fabric will darken the tone, even before I add the top coats. In the case of the Mustaine V, I only did one base coat of glue and one layer of fabric and one top coat of glue. Each glue coat was brushed on and not very thick. The surface feels similar to a real snake's skin - not smooth like glass but not coarse like sandpaper.
                          If you look at the pattern as you run your hand across it, it feels like the texture is following the pattern.

Newc

Comment

Bilko:
                            I hardly post here so I'm sure I'll get reemed, but I am a straight shooter so here it goes. NEWC, you have to stop with your own finishes. They are really awful and you are ruining good guitars.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But, they are HIS guitars. What he does with them is his business. I refinished a model 2. It did not come out pro, but it looks pretty friggin' cool to me. I say, Newc, you go on with your bad self. Never give up, never surrender! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87:
                              Never give up, never surrender! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">*nods in agreement*

If you guys think that looks bad, you should see my Flying V. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X