Dr Newcenstein's Warbird2 Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dr Newcenstein\'s Warbird2 Rhoads

This whole post has inspired me to try a re-finish on my 1993 Jackson USA Custom Shop Archtop Soloist. I just can`t stand the mahogany body and quitlted amber top. I don`t even care if there were only 2 Archtops made in 1993, I hate this damn thing and am going to sand her down and paint it all Matte Black. NEWC, I want to thank you for the inspiration to help save my ugly ass stupid looking Archtop. she sucks, she must be saved.Does anyone else think this is going to be a cool project [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] AS for me NEWC, I love the Warbird, rock on dude [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Well in all honesty I wouldn't refin the archtop [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But thanks for the support fellers [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You are kidding, right, Jack? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey Mr. Bilkospies with the cool cheese avatar: It's pretty cool how nobody here really gives a fuck what you think huh!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Now, now, fellas, don't be so harsh - you shoulda seen MY first post at the EZ Board - I flamed everybody in the place for still idolizing "poodle-haired masturbatory shred-kings" and I'm still here [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You never know, the guy may have something to contribute besides criticism [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by bilkospies:
              I hardly post here so I'm sure I'll get reemed, but I am a straight shooter so here it goes. NEWC, you have to stop with your own finishes. They are really awful and you are ruining good guitars. This finish is definitly a step up from the cloth ones you glued on, but it still looks pretty bad. I don't mean to insult you, but I am a painter and I am trying to be honest. Stick to shredding and let someone else do your refinishes. Again main, I say this to help not hurt. I was a horrible sculpter untill someone kicked my ass into reality, and now I stick with what I do best. Painting. Hope you take this the right way.

bilko
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Way to be a prick. Man the guy's doing this to his own guitars for his own enjoyment...what the hell does your opinion matter in that? How the hell is he ruining guitars?? It's not like he's smashing them into pieces. I may not have the same tastes as him but seriously he's just doing what makes him happy. How is he ever supposed to get better if he stops trying?? What kind of crappy advice are you giving him?? Sorry bro but I'm a "straight shooter" too and your post sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                "poodle-haired masturbatory shred-kings"
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You rang?
                |/
                |
                |

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I can hear the ear-splitting strains of "meedly meedly meedly meedly MEEEEEEEEE!" already [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Well X, i just can`t stand to look at her anymore and furthermore, I am ripping out the EMGs and putting in a set of pickups from Rondo Music, ya they are Chinese made but it will smooth the sound out some and go great with that awsome Matte Black finish. Actually I was thinking of taking the Archtop off very carefully and putting on a flattop in Basswood in natural, I love the look of natural Basswood, so pretty and resonate. well, I will keep you updated on this project, some will think i am totally ruining a atotally good Custom Archtop Soloist, but I see it as adding personallity [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Anyway, I may even scrap the non-recessed Floyd and go with a Fender Vintage Trem, much more stable and well while I am add it, I may as take the locking nut off and add a roller nut. Man I am out of breath I am so excited about this project, I will put up pics when I get the cap off [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Comment

I gave up my poodle hair a long time ago.

Still got the meedly-meedly-meee tho. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Newc, I think your paint/fabric/inlay jobs are great.

To be fair and even, you DID do a hack job on that wonderfull DK2 HRF.. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Now now, that guitar defines Hot Rodding [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

It does look like it was masked off, but I think Krylon does make a Camo paint that comes out in different colors at certain intervals. Never tried one, so I guess that's how they do it [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

And pearloid bombs on ebony just wouldn't look "tough" IMO. I mean, think about it in terms of military imagery as a whole - spray paint, utilitarian options - a field weapon that isn't all dolled up. The black bombs on a maple board keep that imagery flowing in the same direction, as it's a simple yet stark contrast - it gives the impression of being painted onto the side of the tank or other hardware in the field, not back at the base in the motor pool.

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                              Zeegler - If it was rosewood, I couldn't do the bomb inlays, and it'd look stupid without 'em [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why not? Do them in white pearl nailpolish. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I am thinking of doing a Camo refin... Is the tape usually cut by hand to mask off the different patterns? Would love to be able to buy a premade Camo masking kit.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X