New JS30 series info & review - straight from NAMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New JS30 series info & review - straight from NAMM

Just got back from NAMM - I interviewed both Mike Kotzen and John Walker about these, so this info is straight from the horse's mouth... so to speak. As you may know, there are 4 body styles: Rhoads, King V, Kelly, and Warrior (woohoo!) and 3 colors: Black, Dark Metallic Red, Dark Metallic Blue.
    Scale length: 25.5
    Neck: Hard maple
    Fretboard: Indian rosewood
    Pickups: Jackson CVR2 humbuckers
    Pup switch: 3 position toggle
    (Yes the pics in the press release showed a blade. They also showed trans colors, and John confirmed that those were mockups, as I suspected. See earlier thread).
    Controls: Volume, Tone
    Width at nut: 1 11/16" (43 mm)
    Bridge: JT390
    Tail: String through
    Hardware: chrome
    Machine heads: Chrome-plated die-cast tuners
    Inlays: MOTO dots
    Body wood: Indian cedro (cedar)

And now for the bad news (MAYBE): these guitars are made in India! NOT Japan, as we had thought.
    I noticed the other day that stamped on the back of the neck is "Crafted in India". Tekky & I theorized that they were NOS or prototyped necks. Alas, John confirmed they are India guitars.

MSRP is $427.99
    Guitar Center sells the current JS30 for $299, and BM says he can get 'em for $260.

BUT! Read on for my actual playing review! Coming soon!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Re: New JS30 series info & review - straight from NAMM

Comment

BTW, the previous thread - including links to the 2 press releases - is

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...3;t=000517;p=1

Comment

Humm, Thats a new one on me. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm, yeah, cedar-type species are more of an acoustic guitar top tonewood for classical/flamenco guitars, I think.

Comment

OK, so I grabbed the JS30RR (24 fret Rhoads! I think I am the first JCFer to play the 1st regular production 24f Rhoads! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Plugged it in to the Fender CyberTwin head / Showman cab they had there in the Jackson area.
            I had a hard time keeping this one in tune. Also the tone knob seemed a bit stripped. Most likely it had been played hard all weekend. There was no strap around, so I had to sit down and play. I love this neck! I didn't think I would, but it is very thin & speedy. And the pickups! BlackMariah, you were right, these are some *killer* pups! Nice & chunky, and I could get harmonics all over with ease! Also, the neck joint area doesn't seem as thick as previous Jackson imports (I also noticed an even greater difference in this area on the Jap imports such as DXMG and WRXT).
            OK, sitting down with the RR was getting annoying because of the input jack location. It's on the lower horn and is straight in. The straight end cord was sticking uncomfortably into my leg. Keep in mind the jack location is the same on the KV. If you want the JS30RR or JS30KV, maybe get an angled jack cord (or just stand up while playing).

Comment

I have to get a bunch of those pickups somehow. I had one in my Model 1, which had a SEVERE lack of low end, and it solved that problem.

The $260 I saw was at MF, so obviously they've raised their price or what I saw was a sale or something.

Unless they're not using Harmony, I'm worried. I don't think they're capable of pulling a decent guitar out of their ass (actually, that's probably where most of the DX1's came from...). I sent out too many finishes that looked like a relief map of Ireland to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

BTW, the CVR2 pickups are made in Korea.

I let John Walker know how we feel about MII Jacksons, and that I was worried about how this info will affect sales (we were so happy when we thought these were gonna be MIJ). John said that he was around in the 90s when the India stuff basically fell apart while they were being played, and that he was gonna make sure the India guys get the new JS30s right. He even pointed out that the neck plate on the Rhoads was hanging over the edge a bit (something I hadn't even noticed) and that he will "send it back and tell the guy to get it right"

Comment

Originally posted by Mathyus:

Humm, Thats a new one on me. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                  Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                  Hmm, yeah, cedar-type species are more of an acoustic guitar top tonewood for classical/flamenco guitars, I think.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Guys, check your catalogs...or the Jackson website...Indian cedro is what the JS1/JS20 bodies are made of.... [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  Hmmmmmm....

Comment

Re: New JS30 series info &amp; review - straight from NAMM

OK, back to the review!
                    After playing the Rhoads (and getting bothered by the cord jack) - I next picked the Warrior!
                    It is SWEET! You can sit down very comfortably, and the input jack is on the bottom edge of the lower horn. It is angled a bit also, so the cord is totally out of your way. Again, these pickups rock! Great feeling neck, very fast & thin. Harmonics all over. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the fretwork or the finish, although nothing really bad jumped out at me. Keep in mind this was in a hot crowded room, played through a Fender CyberTwin halfstack.
                    My review:

Although quality may still be an issue, for the price, these seem like kickass Jacksons....perfect for backing up your nicer Jacksons if you gig....or a great starter axe....or even a nice starting point for a cheaply-modded Jackson...or if you absolutely must have a 24 fret Rhoads. I would say however, if you want a string-through King V, the KVX10 is made in Japan, has sharkies, and doesn't cost much more than these. I imagine the Rhoads will sell the best, and maybe the Warrior will do well also.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the reviews man! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Too bad they didn't put up the RR24 prototype. =/
                      I would've loved to see you review that.

'bane

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                        OK, back to the review!
                        After playing the Rhoads (and getting bothered by the cord jack) - I next picked the Warrior!
                        It is SWEET! You can sit down very comfortably, and the input jack is on the bottom edge of the lower horn. It is angled a bit also, so the cord is totally out of your way. Again, these pickups rock! Great feeling neck, very fast & thin. Harmonics all over. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the fretwork or the finish, although nothing really bad jumped out at me. Keep in mind this was in a hot crowded room, played through a Fender CyberTwin halfstack.
                        My review:

Although quality may still be an issue, for the price, these seem like kickass Jacksons....perfect for backing up your nicer Jacksons if you gig....or a great starter axe....or even a nice starting point for a cheaply-modded Jackson...or if you absolutely must have a 24 fret Rhoads. I would say however, if you want a string-through King V, the KVX10 is made in Japan, has sharkies, and doesn't cost much more than these. I imagine the Rhoads will sell the best, and maybe the Warrior will do well also.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thanks Ron ! that totally blows that they are made in india though . that kelly I had from india kinda sucked after 6 months or so , it felt cheep compared to my other guitars . but I'll still try one out I am definatly not gonna buy one of these blind thats for sure . made in Japan or in the USA I would buy blind cause I trust the workmanship , but made in india no way , also doesn't cedar warp over time ? [just curious] . and cedar is light so they were probably really neck heavy as well ? thanks Ron for the info man !!!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

JS series yuck. Make a RR5 without that pimp ugly gold hardware. They always have to get something wrong. How hard is it just keeping all guitars neutral colors both body paint and hardware.

Comment

They need to make a japan soloist with tune-o-matic bridge, pointed headstock, bound neck and headstock, 25.5 scale neck, Sharkfin Inlays and EMG active pickups. No fancy looking shit or ugly colors.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the review! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

We were pumped for MIJ guitars, though, weren't we? Too bad about the MII thing. I'm still looking forward to them, anyway. I'll have to play before I pay, but at least I won't have to pay an arm and a leg. I can't wait to test one of them out for myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X