MII DK-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MII DK-2

I'm looking at hopefully getting a DK-2 in the not too distant future (due to all the great reviews and reccomendations its been given), and have a puzzle.

In my local music store, They have a very nice DK-2 on display which is currently way overpriced, (but am pretty certain I can get a rather large discount on it). The thing I have a problem with is there is a "Made In India" sticker on the back of the neck, but from what I've heard DK-2s have always been made in Japan [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Is this some kind of mistake (a misplaced sticker perhaps??) Or have I found the one and only MII DK2? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Can somebody plz help me out??

Thanks in advance [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: MII DK-2

If it is made in India, stay away from it. The serial number should start with 10 if it's Indian (IIRC), but all the recent Japan-made models start with "96"

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's hard for music stores "not in the know" to correctly ID Jacksons, especially lower lines or bolt-ons. I'd bet it's a lower line MII, NOT a DK-2.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
        It's hard for music stores "not in the know" to correctly ID Jacksons, especially lower lines or bolt-ons. I'd bet it's a lower line MII, NOT a DK-2.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">lol. That is actually almost right. They actually have it labelled as a DR-3, and the DR-3 labelled as a DK-2 (quite how they got mixed up, I have no idea [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ). I'm pretty confident that I've correctly identified it (24fret bound neck, non-rev head, Bolt on Dinky shape, H-S-S with duncan designed pups, Floyd Rose bridge with 1 vol and 1 tone + 1 five way blade selector switch in Trans-Amber finish, tell me if i'm missing anything here plz)

Thanks for the help though. I'll go in and check the serial number out in the next week or so.

Comment

Sounds like a DK2 to me.. how much are they asking?

Comment

Japanese bolt ons have 7 digit serial numbers, Indian guitars have 8 digit numbers.

AFAIK, there aren't any bound Indian guitars. That is most likely a misplaced sticker.

Comment

Well, the price on the tag says $1599 (nz$ we're talking, so according to my currency calculator, thats roughly $1100US), but another local place has one for $1000nz, and I also have a friend there who may be able to let me in with a much better deal.

Now I know you guys are probly thinking that that's a whole lot more than anybody would pay in the U.S, so heres my next question:

My dad is possibly visiting somewhere in California next month & I was thinking I could get him to possibly bring back a guitar for me. Can you guys recommend anyone to buy from (I know about easton guitars etc etc, but it would most likely have to be near to where he is as he's only there for a few days), and what are the taxes and what not likely to cost that he will incur when arriving back home?

Thanks again for all the help [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by phattphella:
                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RacerX:
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">lol. That is actually almost right. They actually have it labelled as a DR-3, and the DR-3 labelled as a DK-2 (quite how they got mixed up, I have no idea [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ). I'm pretty confident that I've correctly identified it (24fret bound neck, non-rev head, Bolt on Dinky shape, H-S-S with duncan designed pups, Floyd Rose bridge with 1 vol and 1 tone + 1 five way blade selector switch in Trans-Amber finish, tell me if i'm missing anything here plz)
                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A DR3 is Japanese made, and it's H/H, not H/S/S, with a three-way toggle switch instead of blade switch.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                  Japanese bolt ons have 7 digit serial numbers
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Typically, but the one Dinky Reverse model I bought off Greg Crowe was a '94 (I know it was a '94 since it had the JT580LP '94 trem on it) its serial number was, I believe, 401401. I had another Dinky Reverse I got off ebay that was a year or two later with a similar 6 digit number. How do you explain those? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  The two '94 Dinky HX models I've got are 7 digits, starting with 94xxxxx.

Comment

My stone finish Dinky reverse also has 6 digits...

Comment

Toejam - I meant those specs for the DK2, sorry for the confusion [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I dunno about the serial number etc. I might just go back in and play it and forget about where its made. If it sounds and plays good, then I'll buy it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Ah, okay. Cool! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X