No announcement yet.

Kelly XLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually stray, we just had a newb necro a thread from Nov '02!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Reviving old threads on-topic is awesome. Shows that you have done your searches and keeps related info in the same thread. Now, this is going off-topic
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

The first Jackson I got after joining the JCF was a Kelly XL. I don't have or remember the ser# but I recall it was a 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
          I know my Kelly XL is a '94.
          I am not questioning you here, but how do you know? (I guess I am questioning you )

I may be completely wrong here but if I remember correctly the SN is J004XXX.
          Please lean over and check
          Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
            I am not questioning you here, but how do you know? (I guess I am questioning you )
            This is going to sound funny, but I don't remember how I know. But I do remember that when I got it, I was given info (from here I think) and proved that it was a '94 by the SN and features.

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
            Please lean over and check
            I'm at work. That's a 40 mile lean.. lol. I'll check and get back with you..
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

my apologies!
              Henrik

Comment

OK. I have 2 professionals. And honestly, Henrik, until I just now looked at your info on your site, I never saw any Professional SN that didn't start with "J00"XXXX. My Soloist Pro is J001XXX and my Kelly XL is J004XXX. According to catalogs and general info I've researched, the Kelly XL was not around till 1994 so with the J004 sn, it can't be a 1990. I'm pretty sure that's where I/we got the idea that it was a 1994. Someone else had the same exact guitar with J005XXX and it was determined that mine was a 94, his was a 95. That's also why I think my Soloist Pro is a 1991, J001XXX... Where the hell is that guy that was collecting the SN's?? :think:

Comment

There is a possibility that Chushin Gakki ran (and runs) a serialization syntax that we haven't decoded yet. And they could have changed the syntax over the years, leaving us completely helpless. That is very possible. Or applying different syntaxes on different models, like one syntax for Pro neckthru's and another syntax for Pro bolt-ons.

But the current assumption that the first number equals the build year seems to work or make sense for the most part. Even for guitars only for sale in Japan like the Doug Aldrich models. They were built from 1991-1994 I think) and all the serials I've seen matches those years... J3xxxxx, J4xxxxx, etc.

All the Jackson Pro's I've seen also matches this assumed syntax that we know. I haven't seen a Jackson Pro neckthru with a J6xxxxx or J9xxxxx serial for example.
                  Henrik

Comment

My Kelly Pro is J502154. I assume it's a 1995.

Comment

I wonder if the bolt-ons (Std & XL's) are different than the neckthru's even though they have the same configuring for the SN. You state on your site that the info is for Pro's (neckthru). I see how my Soloist Pro is a 1990 but what's causing probelms is my XL would be a 1990 also but they were not around until 1994.

And straycat, sorry for the hijack!!

Comment

I'm almost certain that the Kelly XLRs were only made in 1994 and 1995, and from what I remember they were only offered in Black and the Dark Metallic Violet. I bought one the first year they came out and since I love Purple, that's the one I went with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
                          I'm almost certain that the Kelly XLRs were only made in 1994 and 1995,
                          That makes sense because by 1996, the model designation had changed to the NN-x series (KE3, RR1, etc)

Comment

wow this is so old ha ha. well i just got a new to me XLR today and serial is J005818

Comment

Some guy is selling an XLR on dat site which I shall not speak of, only the "rare emerald green" body didn't seem right. Was Emerald Green one of the colors of the KE-3 series? What color hardware came on the KE-3 as I think he has a KE-3 with an XLR neck. The Duncan Design pickups were on the KE-3 I believe.

Comment

its a XLR. its stamped in the neck pocket. must be a refin job. ke3's have a small control cavity and most use neckplates.

Comment

Working...
                                X