7 string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 string

hey people. I've been looking around for a decent sounding and playing 7 string. So far i've only been able to try out the Ibanez 7321, I liked the playability but i weren't too sure on the sound.

Another alternative is a Washburn 7 string which a friend of mine has tried out and he has said that it's a very nice guitar to play, but i'm waiting to try one out untill i decide.

The only other alternative is a Jackson 7 string. I've heard that the 7 string Jacksons aren't that good, is this true? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: 7 string

any one?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

i dont think ive ever seen a high end jackson 7 string. the only ones ive seen are cheapo import ones, which are probably OK. Jackson doesnt really make em anymore, so good luck finding one.

Comment

i own an Ibanez RG 7420, basically the same guitar as the 7321 except for the fixed bridge, if you really want a 7 string those Ibanez are really great on the playability department, not on sounds, the pickups are muddy as hell at high volumes, if i was you i'd try to get a cheap one on Ebay and get it EMG's 707, i had a Di Marzio Blaze on my guitar and didn't work either

Comment

i have the RG 7421XL, its pretty cool. I put an Evolution in the bridge and a Blaze 7 int he neck. im probably gonna try to sell it though. im not a big 7 string guy

Comment

In my endeavour to avoid Ibanez 7 strings, i bought the Jackson DR-7. It plays pretty well and has a pretty good sound, but it is not what I really wanted in a 7-string, so I'm going to customize this one.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

I got the Ibanez RG1527 and replaced the stock pickups with a Duncan Custom/Jazz combo. I am very happy with the results. It plays very well, and the pickups help the sound tremendously. I haven't tried Jacskon's 7-strings. Ibanez makes quality guitars regardless what a lot of the guys say. Every company has their high and low end stuff. It has been my experience to avoid the low end. Get quality stuff and you'll be happy.

Comment

I also have a made in Japan DR7. Not a bad guitar at all especially for the prices they usually go for. Alder body gives it very nice bass response.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

"i dont think ive ever seen a high end jackson 7 string. "

Dig...

There are some other J/C CS 7-string owners around here...

A 7-string swee-tone just moved through the classifieds for a killer price.
                  750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                  Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by nor:
                    "i dont think ive ever seen a high end jackson 7 string. "

Dig...

There are some other J/C CS 7-string owners around here...

A 7-string swee-tone just moved through the classifieds for a killer price.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">First of all, I don't know if he meant a high end NON-CUSTOM SHOP 7-string. Second of all, I never get tired of seeing that picture, that is probably the most awesome 7 string I've ever seen. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I just got (back) into 7-string guitaring, myself. Way back in the day, I had one of the early Ibanez Universes--played great, but I just didn't need 7 strings at that point.

I faced your same dilemma. For me, the problem with the Jackson 7-strings was the 22-fret necks. I need 24 frets, and I just don't have the money right now to get a custom shop Jackson, though that's probably what I'll do eventually. The only production Jackson 7-string with 24 frets was the KE-7, and those rarely appear on eBay--and I'm not a big Kelly fan anyway.

And nowadays, I just don't care for the way the Ibanez 7-strings play or sound, after having tried a couple of them out.

I now have two Diamond-Series Schecters: a V-7 (basswood bolt-on Strat body w/Floyd), and an A-7 Elite (neckthru maple/mahogany "Avenger" shape--sort of BC Rich-ish--w/tuneomatic). The V-7 plays very nice, but that basswood body just does not provide a very crisp sound on the low B-string--the same problem you'll find with Ibanez. I've gotten around that by installing a Blaze Custom in the bridge, which is a hotter, more trebly pickup than the regular Blaze, and by using a very thin low-B string (.053) from the now-discontinued La Bella HRS-7 set. Now the guitar sounds great, but I still need to work on the action a bit, as the radius on the 7-string Floyd copy doesn't match the fretboard radius very well.

I just got my A-7 Elite, and I love it. It has a very rich sound, and the maple neckthrough provides lots of nice 'snap' on the low-B. I highly recommend picking one of these up if you don't need a trem. Drum City Guitarland has a NOS A-7 Elite for sale at a very good price. It's a Korean guitar (as is the V-7), but to me the A-7 Elite plays better than the neckthru ESP LTD's that I've tried that are actually made at the same factory as the Korean Schecters. You'd probably want to ditch the Duncan Design pickups in them, but that's simple enough to do.

As to the strings, since I liked that discontinued LaBella set, I'm probably going to custom order those gauges (.009 .011 .014 .022 .030 .038 .053) from juststrings.com--except that I'll have to move up to .054 on the low B, since no one seems to make .053 strings!

Comment

just picked up a Washburn WG587 for my son...they are clearing them out at Music123.com.

you can get the guitar with a case for about $250. Now it's Koreon or maybe even Chinese made...so be warned. But his came in perfect shape..I have no idea about the sound because I'm really old and never even heard of a 7 string guitar.

I played it a little before it went to his mom's house and his band's practice area...the fretboard is much wider than a 6 string, but the action was OK. Probably needs some new strings on it I assume and as with most inport guitars a change in PU's would be in order for any real gigging.

Go check out harmony Central...some of the posters there liked it a lot.

Two types they make the WG-587 & WG-587V ( V has a FR trem).

for $250 with a hard case(though cheaper one) how can you go wrong?

Add strings/PU's..maybe have a solid piece!

Comment

I know !!! those old ESP/LTD are great!! i used to own an M-207, basswood body, licensed floyd, duncan designed pickups, i dunno what this one had, but sounded just brutal!!! the only problem i had was that the licensed floyd could never stay in tune, and sold it and got my Ibanez RG 7420, comparing both axes, i'd say that the Ibanez is more comfy, but the LTD sounded just brutal, i even changed the pup's of the Ibanez for Dimarzio Blaze and they're just ok....wanted to sell the guitar but now i'm having a blue ghost flames graphic on the body, so i guess i'll keep it

Comment

"First of all, I don't know if he meant a high end NON-CUSTOM SHOP 7-string."

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ... I know. I know. I was just in a smart-assed kind of mood yesterday.

Schecter makes some decent stuff - My C-7+ plays quite well.
                            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I've actually been pretty happy with my ESP/LTD H207. It's nowhere near as good as my Soloist 7 is, but it's still pretty decent. Mine has a couple of dodgy frets, but I like the feel better than any of the import Jackson 7s I played.

The funny thing is, the 24 frets throw me off - my Soloist 7 is 22.

The Schecters are VERY good - especially the A7+ and C7+ - although I haven't tried the newer ones, the C7 Blackjack looks pretty cool, and comes with real Duncans! The Deans are pretty good, too - the Avalanche is a decent 7 string that goes used for about $200, and the EVOs are quite good.

The only Ibanezs I like is the run of Sabers that was done for GC - I thought those were pretty nice - and the K7, although it leaves something to be desired in the looks department.

Of course, there's Christian from Fear Factory's sig model USA 7 coming the summer...

Mike
                              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X