what the...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what the...?

Hey, Can any of you guys help with identifying this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/STRUCTURE/A...ewritten=true&

It looks like a basic H/S/S, 24fret Dinky, but the bridge is what throws me... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

The seller also says it has some kind of distortion circuit built in. Is this likely to be a mid boost or something?

Any help Is appreciated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: what the...?

That's certainly a Wilkinson trem. I have NO idea why that bridge is on there.

The third knob may be a gainboost/afterburner/firestorm circuit thing, but I'm not sure.

The neck looks unbound, perhaps making my believe that the guitar might be an older Professional Series Dinky, but we can't see the whole headstock to confirm. There also seem to be Jackson pickups in it... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Certainly doesn't seem like a DK2. I don't know if it's a Fusion either... I see the scalloped horns but they're not the only identifying feature of Fusions, apparently.

Comment

I asked the guy if there was anything else written on the Head and he said no, So i guess that could rule out the early professional idea. He said he'd take it to a music shop and try to get them to identify it, but I don't think he'll have much luck with that... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Something looks wrong about that guitar. It clearly has an import neck, but...

- The control layout looks wrong for any Jackson import I've ever seen. I've never seen a Dinky import where three knobs line up straight.

- The body shape seems off a bit, both the horns and the back.

- Only the PS7 and JRS models came with a Wilkinson trem, and that is definitely neither.

- Back to the neck, I've never seen a non-reverse unbound neck with sharkfins on an import Dinky. I might be overlooking an AX/S or X-series model, but that still doesn't explain the Wilkinson, and those imports would have had Armstrong or Duncan Designed pickups.

I'm going to guess that someone built a parts mutt with a Jackson neck and humbuckers, UNLESS it's either 1) some model that was never available on the American market or 2) an "exclusive" model made for Musicians Friend or another dealer.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone:
          I'm going to guess that someone built a parts mutt with a Jackson neck and humbuckers, UNLESS it's either 1) some model that was never available on the American market or 2) an "exclusive" model made for Musicians Friend or another dealer.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well, given that the seller is in New Zealand, option 1 is a distinct possibility, although I've never seen anything like it down this end of the world.

Loads of time left in the auction, I'd be requesting more pics.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks people. I will request more pics [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

That's pretty cool that your questions and his answers are shown right on the auction page! I like that.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It'd also be cool if rejected backdoor offers were shown, so you knew where you stood. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

There were several other models with Wilkinsons. AT1, PC2, GC special JJ, and something else I can't recall.

This thing says "OVERSEAS MODEL!" very loudly. Get the serial number if you can. I'm interested in finding out WTF this thing is as well.

Comment

he provided the serial number in his response to phattphella's question on the auction site. but he called it the model number - 701022
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

No locking nut platform (see the truss rod cover), the headstock appears to match the body, and the trem is not recessed. I say it's all original, or a Jackson neck on a Raven or other body.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The light color of the fretboard makes it look like an MII
                        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                          That's pretty cool that your questions and his answers are shown right on the auction page! I like that.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I noticed that down at the bottom of the page as well! Ebay should TOTALLY incorporate a feature like this. It would let potential bidders know how the seller responds to backdoor offers, willingness to ship to other unmentioned countries, how the item will be packed, how much shipping will be, etc. It avoids the seller being bombarded with the same questions over and over again. Really though, if the seller were good, he/she would properly describe everything about the item/shipping in the first place. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                            he provided the serial number in his response to phattphella's question on the auction site. but he called it the model number - 701022
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeap, Vitamin G said it. Does this give any indication of it's origin? He say's its made in Japan, but you never can tell sometimes...

Comment

To me this looks like something he whipped together from Jackson and other parts. I wouldn't go for it myself, but at the right price it could be a decent enough guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X