Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (?) Performer Kelly

Hello.

Last year, when a new local music centre started to operate, I visited it and found one Kelly. Okay, I was so lame about Jacksons at that time, because I knew only basic models but not the series.

Today I've found out that this Kelly is actually new sale but an old guitar.
    It's black Kelly, with one vol put and toggle switch, Jackson pups, JT-580 tremolo, dot inlays (24 frets), rosewood fingerboard, black hardware. It says "Jackson Performer" on the headstock. Control cavity cover is low and long (strange to see it on Jacks).
    The logo is not the new one, because fonts are bigger and some slight variations between old and new logo.

Ok, Performer aren't in production any more, right? This Jackson is in the store for, let's say, a year and a half.
    It's made in Japan and the price is 750 USD. I'm droping my eye on it, but I don't know what to do ...
    I've heard that models of any kind of gear should be discounted if they aren't in production anymore. Would it be fair to bargain? The guy at the shop is very good friend of mine, so I want harm his boss, not him.

Drop a note and thanks a lot!

Re: New (?) Performer Kelly

Well, a discontinued model can be worth more or less depending on how popular it became after it was discontinued.

New Performer Kellys sold for about $479 through Musicians Friend, that's mail order at a discount here in the USA. I guess $750 USD in your country for a NOS Kelly isn't that bad, but always feel free to negotiate. Look it over for any scratches and dings, those would drop the
    price. Also, if he's had it for a long time with no takers that'd be a good point too.

In the end you have to decide based on the availability in your country of such
    guitars, as to whether it's worth it to you. Here it'd probably go for $200 to $250 used, add $50 if it came with a hard case. I hope that helps a bit.

Rich
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Here's the identical piece but not with black finish:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Comment

Yup, sure sounds like a PS6. I saw a few last year in a local shop for $579 and I had to stifle a sarcastic comment! They were dust-covered; it looked like nobody had even touched 'em in a while.
        They really aren't that great, pretty much a low line Jackson. That price is laughably high, even for Europe IMO. You'd be better off getting a Jap Kelly from a US dealer and getting it shipped to you. Hell, a JS30KE is $299 street price over here, and it's a low line Jackson import - although it is string through. Even the JS30KE (it's made in India) will blow the PS6 away! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Have you read my JS review?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Matt can send you a KE3...made in Japan Kelly WITH SHARKIES...brand new

http://www.mattsmusic.com/Merchant2/...D/Jackson2/KE3

even with shipping & customs it'll probably be less than that nasty Performer over there. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Plus you get a JCF discount! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

that price is way too high..you can get a new KE3 (which is better than that performer) in Europe for 550 euros new

Comment

What was the last production year of PS guitars?

I agree that this Kelly is well overpriced, so I'd rather for a KE3 that Ron posted.

At this time, Ron, my budget is low, but in future I'll be shredding with KE3 or something like it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

you can also get it from germany..its 550 euros there...which i guess will be much cheaper for you with shipping and all

Comment

Keep in mind that the prices listed on my site are set at MAP (minimum advertised price). I offer discounts to JCF members and many times even after freight and taxes are factored in, it's still cheaper to buy your guitar from a US dealer (like myself), then it is to buy it in your home country.

Matt [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal:
                    What was the last production year of PS guitars?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Either 2000 or 2001.

Also, 550E = $662US

Comment

Let's see ... KE3 is import and KE2 is USA model and the the price differs for 1.200 USD. Tell me, is the difference in playability and tone (let's say we install exactly the same pickups on both guitars) so huge? I know that the hardware and material differ, but how does it affect the sound? My DXMG has very amazing sound to me and I just cannot image how would a DK1 sound, since DXMG is a plagiat of DK1.

Who can explain me this?
                      Thanks!

Comment

Well, the KE3 is a bolt-on, and the KE2 is a neck-thru construction - so there will be a difference in both sound and feel due to that. Since bolt-on guitars are cheaper to produce, they can put the KE3 at a much lower price. A better comparison to make would be the RR5 vs. the RR1T, which are both neck-thru guitars.

What you pay for when you buy a USA Jackson, are two things:

1) Overall nicer features. You get an original Floyd Rose bridge and original Duncan pickups (both of which are superior to the bridges/pickups in the import guitars). This is the biggest selling argument for the USA models, IMO. If you're going to upgrade an import neck-thru guitar with new Duncans and an OFR, you're already getting much closer the cost of a USA guitar. In addition to that, a USA Select also gives you a bound ebony fretboard with real MOP inlays and a much wider selection of finishes - in other words, a nicer looking guitar - if that sort of thing tickles your pickle.

2) Better quality control. The imports are produced in much larger volumes than the USA Select models (which are being built in Jackson's custom shop), so there is a bigger chance a flawed guitar slips off the assembly line at the Japanese or the Indian factories. This isn't such a big issue as the first one, IMO - since often you can return an obviously flawed axe regardless of where it was made.

Btw, I don't own any USA Jacksons myself. I just desire them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The USA guitars feel better and play better. The quality of the USA guitars is unsurpassed IMO! The Japanese made guitars are good, but you'll NEVER catch me playing one of the Indian made pieces of crap! Every one of those I have tried was junk, IMO. I really wish they'd close that factory, and just build the USA's and Jap's.
                          The KE3 is a very good guitar. I'd change the pups and bridge though. You can find them on eBay for $250 to $350.

Comment

Working...
                          X