DKMG and DXMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKMG and DXMG

Will the necks from these guitars swap out with one another? I'd like to put a DXMG neck onto the DKMG and vice versa.

Thanks!
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: DKMG and DXMG

I'm thinking they won't, because accoring to the Jackson site, the DKMG neck dimensions are:

1st - .735
    12th - .810

and te DXMG's dimensions are:

1st - .775
    12th - .880

Not much of a difference, but the question is would it be too much of a difference for them to be compatible with one another? Or do these dimensions have anything to do with how the neck will fit down into the neck pocket? They both have 1-11/16" nut width and 25.5" scale, so I'm thinking that would be the most important dimensions.

Comment

Do you have them both available? I mean, are you buying a DXMG neck or you have it at home and just hesitate to try it?

The width of the DXMG neck at the beginning of the bolt is about 5,5 cm, which is app. 2,2 inches. In the end of the bolt is 5,69 cm or app. 2,276 inches.

I cannot asure you that these are correct measures in inches. You can convert them by your own.
      I posted this because you can compare if there's any drastic difference.

Comment

And why don't you just go and buy DXMG? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The neck thickness really does not matter.What is important is the scale lenght the number of frets and the width were it bolts to the body.They should all be the same.
          Mike
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Originally posted by Model 88:
            They should all be the same.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But no ... someone from JCF had to drill new holes for doing that, but he put Soloist (I think) neck on Kelly.

I'm not sure.

Comment

I don't have either one yet. I'd like to get both and interchange the necks, since I'd like to have the sharkfins on the DKMG. I'd use the DXMG as a backup.

Comment

you can interchange the necks of these two and the DK-2.
                all three models have the same neck pocket and scale [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                the ones that would be not a good idea are the DX10's or the JS-30's but then again NO ONE would take off a DXMG neck for ones of those anyway! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

the flame inlays looks pretty cool on the new dkmg...

Comment

I have a Dkmg and don't mind swapping neck. You'll get used to those classy pirahna (sp) Inlays. They do not look bad. They suit that guitar very well. Also, why is everybody considering more the Dxmg over the Dkmg. I mean the Dkmg is better. I mean Carved > Flat top anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambucker:
                      I have a Dkmg and don't mind swapping neck. You'll get used to those classy pirahna (sp) Inlays. They do not look bad. They suit that guitar very well. Also, why is everybody considering more the Dxmg over the Dkmg. I mean the Dkmg is better. I mean Carved > Flat top anyday.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I suppose it's mostly a matter of taste.

Some people like sharkfins, and some people don't like carved tops.

I suppose price is a big factor.

I've enjoyed playing every DKMG I've come across.

However, I haven't found them to play any "better" than a DK2 or DXMG.

If they droped the price $150.00 and had sharkfins, I'd take a second look.

Comment

interesting, i had no idea people here in jcf prefer dxmg more over the dkmg, I guess price is always the main issue. Although I'm a dkmg guy, have one myself as a matter of fact...

cheers

Comment

I wasn't trying to suggest that people here on the JCF or anywhere are "anti-DKMG" or anything.

As I said, it's a fine guitar.

I don't have one because I don't see the justification in price compared to the other Jacksons.

I was trying to say that I dissagree that a "carved or arched top" is any better in any real way than a "flat top"

I mean, the difference is cosmetic, nothing that creates a difference in tone or playability.

Enjoy your DKMG.. it's a great guitar in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:
                            I wasn't trying to suggest that people here on the JCF or anywhere are "anti-DKMG" or anything.

As I said, it's a fine guitar.

I don't have one because I don't see the justification in price compared to the other Jacksons.

I was trying to say that I dissagree that a "carved or arched top" is any better in any real way than a "flat top"

I mean, the difference is cosmetic, nothing that creates a difference in tone or playability.

Enjoy your DKMG.. it's a great guitar in any case.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What you're saying is that the demand of the DXMG is bigger than of DKMG.

I say that this is really a matter of taste. Look, you have (technically) almost identical guitars, whose sound and necks are almost the same.

If you want a DXMG with carved top, you go and buy DKMG. But there are things you have to sacrifice. If you don't like piranha inlay and love the carved top, you have to make a compromise, whether to get DXMG or DKMG.

I think the whole MG series is a big step forward, and the price you pay for your MG model (~600 USD), despite the SLSMG, is a very small amount of money.
                            These guitars go over 900 USD here in Europe on eBay and people actually do buy them.
                            Even the guy I know said that MG series play like butter in comparison with his Ibanez 77FP.

And they have a killer look too.
                            I own DXMG and while having this guitar the thought about USA Jackson doesn't even cross my mind. Of course, they're too expensive for me. It's not that I wouldn't like to pay for the quality, but I have too small income to invest into a 2000 USD worth guitar.

Also, MG series are well praised in the circle of import Jacksons, and I look forward to buy another MG guitar. Whether this will be a Warrior, DK or Soloist.
                            I am very happy with my MG.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal:
                              I think the whole MG series is a big step forward, and the price you pay for your MG model (~600 USD), despite the SLSMG, is a very small amount of money.
                              These guitars go over 900 USD here in Europe on eBay and people actually do buy them.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree, and you'll cry when you find out what I'm getting a near-new DXMG for here in California! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X