Just got to play a KB Rhoads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got to play a KB Rhoads...

Fresh out of the box at Sam Ash! Guitar was not set up so the action was suffering... however... The guitar is EXTREMELY light, almost too light! The fit and finish was nice, hardware was nice. But what shined was the pickup... AWESOME. Dont even have to try to get harmonics to scream right out of it!

Now the bad? Well, aside from the cheesey inlays that I could get over, the guitar needs a trem BAD... with a pickup like that, its just aching for a nice divebomb and squeals to the high heavens.

If the KBR had a Floyd, Id have one on order right now. Id still consider picking one up maybe some day, especially if they offer different (preferably no) inlays.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Re: Just got to play a KB Rhoads...

I've been thinking about grabbing one of those, red bevels. The RR body is the only pointy body I don't have in my collection, so I figured neck thru, fixed bridge, import? Thr RR5 is definitely the way for me to go. What pup is in those? Isn't it an Iommi?
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Comment

Yeah its the Duncan SH-TI1b Iommi. Id go with a KBR over an RR5... the RR5's just look cheap and too cluttered in my opinion.

On the flip side, Im calling Duncan on Monday to see about ordering one of these pickups for my specail project Rhoads. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

The only time I've ever played a Rhodes model was an old bandmates cheap RR, must have been one of the India made ones. It played horrible! The thing was beat to shit though and if you take a cheap guitar and beat the crap out of it I guess its to be expected. My main concern with these are neck diving. I'm pretty sure the strap he had on it was nylon, and I use leather. But it was real hard keeping the thing in a playable position. Is this the case or was it just his shitbox and the nylon strap?
        Hear the universe scream
        Whom horns careless
        And whom God mourns

Comment

According to several testimonies here, all bolt-on RR's hang badly - mine did as well. People have said the neck-thrus hang better, but I have no personal hands-on experience with them.

Comment

The KBR is unnervingly light, and doesnt have any balance issues. It is a great lead guitar, I didnt care much for the rhythm sounds tho...I took mine back

Comment

It must be the bolt-ons. My RR1 hangs perfectly, and I am very, very picky.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Just move the strap pin on the bolt ons and they are fine. The neck thrus hang great.

Comment

They must use bery light mahogany or something to be that light. An all mahogany guitar should weigh more than that. Jack.

Comment

Well, weigh more than WHAT? Light and heavy are relative, maybe if someone were to say x Pounds it would help such assessments [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Dont know acual weight, but its alot lighter than any one of my bolt on imports.

Comment

don't know about the bolt-on RRs, but my neck-thru RR does hang very well with no neck dive issues . . .

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The only time I've ever played a Rhodes model

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you play keyboards? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

shit! R-H-O-A-D-S...sorry [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            Hear the universe scream
                            Whom horns careless
                            And whom God mourns

Comment

I just weighed mine and it was between 4-5lbs. It is a feather light for sure. Now I am off the hook for spelling Rhoads wrong in my very first post! Hey paulbag!! LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X