Grover Jackson SL-P-80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grover Jackson SL-P-80

I saw an ad for this used guitar online a couple of days ago, and pulled the trigger.

My wife sent me an e-mail while I was at work on Friday, and told me that the Eagle had landed.

Here are some pics. Enjoy!

I don't know what the previous owner did to put these dings in the front of the body...

Here's a group shot.

As soon as my Jackson Stars Custom Order comes in (probably in April or May), my collection will be complete [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The guitar was shipped with a gig bag, and the original warranty was in the pocket. The original purchase date was Dec 24th, 1999. So I'm assuming that this was a 1999 model.

This is my first neck-through guitar, and also my first guitar with a recessed tremolo.

The action is super low without any fret buzz, which is fantastic for my left hand, but I need to get used to picking with my right hand closer to the surface of the body.

In any case, it's a killer player!
    Last edited by QuantumRider; 10-28-2006, 04:40 PM.
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Re: Grover Jackson SL-P-80

Nice guitars!!!

Comment

Thanks hunter!

Some specs I forgot to mention:

Fingerboard: Rosewood
      Inlays: MOP Sharkfins
      Front PU: Dimarzio Air Norton
      Bridge PU: Dimarzio Air Zone
      Tremolo: Schaller Floyd
      Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Congrats, nice score and a bargain too for that money! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        It seems to be pretty similar to an SL3, only with a better trem and pickups. Looking at the trem route, it seems to have had a JT-580 originally?
        -Janne

Comment

ExodusAttack-

You're right, the trem route does seem to be made to accomodate longer saddle lock screws.

I don't have any experience with the JT-580 tremelos (my other two J/C guitars both has JT-6's), so I wouldn't know.

I don't think that the Dimarzios came stock on this model. The previous owner probably switched them out. Jackson/Charvel guitars never had Dimarzios as stock pickups, did they? I've always associated J/C guitars with Seymour Duncans.

Comment

Grover Jacksons came with either GroverJackson-logoed covered pickups or Duncan Designed - in 1999 it most likely had the covered GJs with a raised logo.

And the good news - an OFR should fit perfectly on that without crashing into the rear of the route [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

As for the model and what it means - SL-P-80 - I'd say you're 100% correct. The number at the end of most GJ and JS models is the Yen price. My NASL 160 for example was 160,000 Yen. However, since they went to "J1" and "J2" and such, that no longer applies.

Nice axe [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc-

Thanks for the info regarding the pickups and model name.
              [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
              Last edited by QuantumRider; 10-28-2006, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X