Not happy with the DK2 - mod questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not happy with the DK2 - mod questions

Toe - I think he meant in relation to money spent. Buy a DK2 for $400, spend $500 in upgrades, you coulda got a Soloist for $800 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I had a DK2 once and changed everything but the body itself [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I routed out the neck pickup for a humbucker, put in an OFR, replaced the neck, replaced the pots, put on a ClipLock, and replaced the pickups.
    All that was original was the body, dome knobs, jackplate, neckplate and bolts, switch, and the paint.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

...and then you tried to sell it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

And then I finally DID sell it, but after I took the better neck off of it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Newc The rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit is no hype go check out the rave reviews on the L.P forum.I have A/B'd historic L.Ps real vintage L.P.s and these kits work.The pots are cts and the caps are hovland.Yes the pots are indiviualy metered for taper and matched(I know because I used to meter them when I worked there).Vol pots are all 500k +,tone pots range from 425 to 500k
          When you have installed as many of these kits as I have and listed to the customer about shit himself over the huge difference in tone its no hype.
          I have there kits in every guitar I have.And if you have a L.P. you owe it to yourself to at least try a 50s upgrade kit.
          Warrior guitars(in Tenn too) uses these kits in their guitars and you know warriors aren't cheap.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Interesting. I still can't see how a mere 75K is an "audibly noticeable" difference, much less a "Holy Crap!" difference, other than from a psychological standpoint (read: power of suggestion, etc).

While price and quality usually go hand in hand, I know a guy that carved a chunk out of a TonePros bridge with an ordinary pocketknife to prove to someone it was made of potmetal, and how much do those go for?

Comment

I understand your skeptcism I felt the same.But when I installed a 50s upgrade kit on my 83 L.P.studio I was truly amazed at the difference in the separation and clarity of the pickup and the increase in useable tone and a decrease in muddiness.Gibson guitars lack a useable tone control IMO.
              I was never a fan of the Gibby 57 pickup but with the right electronics they sound great.
              I did an EPI L.P. with the DD pickups and it opened the guitars tone so much the customer left the DDs in there.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I ran both a SD Blues Saraceno and a DiMarzio Tone Zone in a DK2, and they were both far better than the DD POS.

I also put a DiMarzio Blue Velvet in the neck position. However, the 24 fret neck moves the neck p/u too far back..there is just no saving it from being too bright.

Mike
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                X