Which Jackson to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Jackson to Buy

What's the best model Jackson to get on a budget (not a starter guitar though). I'm in the UK and want a similar body shape to a Dinky or a Charvel Model 4 with FR. What are my options. I guess the older Japanese models are better than the new owners ones [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Thanks
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Re: Which Jackson to Buy

depends on exactly what your budget is. a js30 has a floyd at around £200-ish. a dk2 starts at £280. or you could wait for the dk2m. the older models are not as good as the newer ones because the 2006 versions (excluding the dxmg) have real duncan or emg pickups and improved trems. naturally, the discontinued/2005 models will drop in price once the 2006 is in full circulation.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

So the new stuff is better then. That's good to know. I have a parts monster that I've just put together with a JS-30 body and a Jackson neck that I haven't got a clue what model it came from and I love how it feels although the body seems light. I'll take a look at the newer stuff then.

Comment

£379 for the dk2m according to one mail order company. add £15-£30 courior charge. not sure about the other new jacksons.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

What MO company is that?
          Cheers

Comment

"the planet of sound". not used them myself. ask them if they have it in stock before you order. i don't usually go MO but i may be forced to eventually.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Planet Of Sound, POS. Brilliant marketing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Planet Of Sound, POS. Brilliant marketing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they'd order a limited run of Jacksons I think they would be "POS Jacksons".

"Hey guys, check out this POS Jackson I just got!" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                -Janne

Comment

The new models will come with better hardware, but there is still considerable debate as to whether recent models are structurally better than the older ones.

You have to rememebr that there was a time when imports were competing heavily for the USA versions, and that includes the Charvel Model models. This was not just due to their lower price, but their higher (equal to USA) construction quality - wood quality, how the neck fit the body, etc etc. A mid-80s Charvel Model or early 90s Jackson Pro will always beat a late-90s and beyond Jackson Pro, even if it has Jackson pickups and a Takeuchi Floyd. You may even find one that's been upgraded previously.

Pickups and such are easy to replace, but a bad or average fretjob is not.

Also, the newer models will be considerably more expensive than a good used older model, and many places will probably be blowing out the old stock to make room for the new stuff, so deals will probably be easy to come by.

I'd say get a DK2M only if you wanted a 2-hum Dinky with a maple neck and black fins, otherwise go with an older rosewood-boarded model (Jackson or Charvel, either way you can't go wrong). You can upgrade the hardware at your leisure. It costs a bit more in the long run, but it comes out the way you want it (like if you prefer DiMarzios over Duncans).
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i forgot to mention i was comparing the 2005 to 2006 dk2, but then i forgot the 2005 dk2 has 1xH+2xS pups. it costs at least £280 for a brand new 2005 dk2 over here (plus carriage). even then, a 2005 dx10d (or indeed the dx10dfs) is £299 plus carriage. a dk2m would be £380, but the cost of the duncans seperately would be more than £100. i think the 2005 dxmg, dk2 and dx10dfs are all under threat from the dk2, but the uk market doesn't like "nice" sales because its too clingy to large mark-ups on what it sells, and loves ripping the british public off to the worst possible extent. i'd love to swap my wrmg for a good condition warrior pro with 1H-1S and slanted board, because i'd want to fit a sustainiac, and the bevels are just fantastic. it is in my opinion the only guitar i would modify. no import in circulation at current has a slanted board, and it makes me sick when i see photos of it. i wouldn't want the output jack on the side though.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Thanks for all your input guys, I do like the looks of the DK2M and want a 2 hum setup too.

Comment

What about a brand new Japanese Charvel Dinky?

For about 400 Sterling, you can get a brand new Charvel Model 'C' with a dinky body, single Duncan TB-4, an oiled neck, a strathead-ish headstock with an OFR. You could always have it routed for another pick-up in the future. They are just starting to hit the shops and I haven't seen one in person yet. Taking into account inflation, these are far cheaper than the original model series.

http://www.digimart.net/gk_detail.do..._id=DS00138154

http://www.watanabe-mi.com/shopping/...G/CHARVEL.html

Comment

Re: What about a brand new Japanese Charvel Dinky?

That model C looks really good too, thanks.

Comment

What about a DKMG or a DXMG?

Comment

2005 DKMG: Piranha inlays, Carved top body. Variety of colours. 2005 DXMG: Sharkfin inlays, standard body, black or gun metal grey finish. Cost me £349. Very nice guitar. Still miss her.
                              Both have JT580 trems, black hardware, EMG-HZ pickups, reversed headstocks. The 2006 versions have improved trems, the DKMG has real EMG's.
                              Personally, I'm inclined to order a 2005 DXMG because I used to own one and just loved it. She was perfect in every way.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                              X