J-85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-85

This is a dual rail pickup. It was included on early-mid 90's dinky reverses and fusion std's.

Is it hot? Was it worth the ten bucks I paid for it?

it's super-heavy weight wise. It looks great too, like those new scot ian pickups

help me with info. Thanks!!!!

Well, if you have j90c's in all your guitars then you will find it a bit muddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff
      Well, if you have j90c's in all your guitars then you will find it a bit muddy.

:sad:

actually, that sig is super old. I'm using Ibanez F1s and QM2's now.

Comment

I've got a '94 Dinky Reverse and a '94 Fusion Std. Both of these featyre a J-85 in the bridge position.

The Fusion needs set up at the moment as the neck has moved over the winter (it's cold and wet here in the UK) and I've not played it much recently so I can't comment on it really. The Dinky Reverse I've been playing quite a lot recently and the pickup in it is an absolute monster. I love it. I'm considering moving it into my JJ4 which is my main axe.

Can anyone tell me if this pickup is based on another pickup? Perhaps some Duncan thing?

Comment

I thought the J92 was a blade?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think my Kelly XLR has a JH-92? in the bridge. Open coil, Jackson logoed, standard 1 slug coil and 1 adjustable coil nickel silver poles. As far as I know the 2 Jackson blade pickups I have are J-85's but neither of them are designated as such.

Comment

I had a Kelly XLR, and the bridge pup was a JH-2, and it's as you describe, one row of adjustable pieces and one row of slugs (I still have that pup laying around here), I'm pretty sure it's an import pup. I think it's different than a J92, but I'm not sure offhand. I thought the J92 was also a blade, but I'm probably mistaken.
              The neck pup in the XLR was a USA J50N which was awesome (and it's weird because the bottom part of the bobbin has the adjustable poles).
              Last edited by toejam; 04-05-2006, 03:15 PM.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I guess I stand corrected. I knew it was a JH (something) and for some reason 92 stuck in my head. So yeah the pickup in my XLR is a JH-2 (never liked it). Maybe there is a J-92 blade pickup out there as well as a J-85.

Comment

Hello- I have a Jackson Professional Fusion XL with a J85 in the bridge position, Charvel Fusion with a J90C, and DKMG with EMG81. So this thread got me thinking and I made some tracks in GarageBand with a POD XT with each pickup. 6 tracks that I exported to iTunes, looks like this....

J85 Line 6 Clean
                  J90C Line 6 Clean
                  EMG81 Line 6 Clean

J85 Line 6 Treadplate (Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier simulation)
                  J90C Line 6 Treadplate
                  EMG81 Line 6 Treadplate

For comparison sake I left all the settings the same for each track. I know it would be better to have the pickups all in the same guitar.....but I'm not THAT interested :-) The pickups clean all sound different as expected. But the heavily overdriven tones all sound remarkably similar.

Unfortunately I don't have a place to post these (or the knowledge of how to do it) so everyone can hear them. If anyone is interested and wants to set this up and post them here, please email me and I can send you the files. They're short, but kind of large in their current format: 1411kbps, @5MB each track. Karl

Comment

send them to me at [email protected]

or better yet...archive them into .rar or something and upload them at www.rapidshare.de , if you don't know how to do that, just send me the files and I'll upload them

Comment

I have a dual rail jackson pickup as well no markings as to which it is.I paid $10.00 for it.It reads 8.96 dc.I've not used it yet but I have had 5 DR5s and loved the tone.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

BTW what was the number for the single sized dual rail pickup? I have one in my 550XL paired with a J-90C and both sound great.

Comment

The single sized dual rails pickup is the J200-R

Comment

OK, here are the files memphiskat sent me:

http://rapidshare.de/files/17643305/...-J90c.rar.html

Thanx memphiskat!

Comment

The JH-2 is a very JB type pickup.More mids I love the JH-2 in the neck with a J95 in the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X