The skinny on "custom wound" pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The skinny on "custom wound" pups?

For a while I've been contemplating putting new pickups in my SLSMG. Petrucci is my personal guitar god for 2 reasons; his ultimate talent, and his killer tone. Naturally, since I don't possess his skill, I'd like to at least be able to faintly emulate his tone.

That being said, he uses custom wound Dimarzios. Anyone have any idea how to get the specs for this custom wind?

I'm kind of newbish when it comes to certain gear specs, as money is usually tight I dont have the luxury of experimenting with different things until I find what I like... so research is usually the only thing I base my decisions on. And what I've taken with me from this site so far, I only wish I could return the favors (even a fraction) alot of you have done for me, while not even knowing it. So, I'll still try to read every thread I can, hoping... waiting for someone to post something that I can answer with absolute certainty. Until then, thanks again for all the insight.

Troy
    www.myspace.com/madeaband
    www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Originally posted by tseegert
    That being said, he uses custom wound Dimarzios. Anyone have any idea how to get the specs for this custom wind?
    I don't know about his current pickups, but when he was endorsed by Ibanez, he used a Dimarzio Steve's Special and Air Norton in those guitars. Since his tone hasn't changed too much since those days, I think these would be a good starting point.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Apparently he's usinga dropsonics I think in the bridge and Paf pro in the neck, allthough the steve's special and norton will get you the same kinda tone...

Ozz

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1
        Apparently he's usinga dropsonics I think in the bridge and Paf pro in the neck, allthough the steve's special and norton will get you the same kinda tone...

Ozz
        I've heard the same thing; that's he's dropped the EBMM Pet6 model specific pickups for the DropSonics. Of course with the tour over now and the group taking the summer off, he could change everything again.
        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

First off, thanks for the replies. I suppose I should go home and study the different album tones, the one that sticks out the most though, is Metropolis Pt 2.
          www.myspace.com/madeaband
          www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

I've heard an Air Norton(neck) and D-Sonic(bridge) with 500k pots will get you close to the custom wounds.

Comment

I'v heard that the custom DiMarzio's in the JP model are very similar to the ones from the EVH model and if so were patterned after the Tone Zone and Air Norton (believe it or not!)
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
              X