Kelly body ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly body ID

What do you guys make of this body? Any ideas as to the origin, ie Japan or India. How about that reddish color of the wood in the neck pocket. It has the short control cavity, cant easily add a tone control. Not sure if that pickup is original either, or the trem.Comments?

Kelly XL(R)

Made in Japan, mid 90s
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'm guessing the reddish wood would be alder?

If you must have a tone control on it also, you could use a concentric pot.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
        Kelly XL(R)

Made in Japan, mid 90s
        i respectfully disagree, that looks like the musicians friend only model that came in either black or the metallic blue hue you see here

Comment

OK, what was the model designation? Was it MIJ? It sure looks similar to the XL spec.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The back control cavity/cover doesn't look right for a MIJ model...does it? I was going to guess Muscian's Friend JK-20 myself.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone
              The back control cavity/cover doesn't look right for a MIJ model...does it? I was going to guess Muscian's Friend JK-20 myself.
              Doesn't the KE3 also have that back-route?

I've seen pics of someone here trying to cram a 9V battery into one, and the cover plate was bulging out big-time. I could be mistaken on the model though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
                Doesn't the KE3 also have that back-route?

I've seen pics of someone here trying to cram a 9V battery into one, and the cover plate was bulging out big-time. I could be mistaken on the model though.
                Thats the thing. I had a KE3 and it had a much longer back rout. It had a huge unused portion as if it was meant to have the tone pot too but just never was drilled for it. So, definately mij for this? I dont see any markings in the pocket but I wont be able to tell until I get it. What year was that MF special produced? If that Jackson logoed pickup is original, did the MF model have those? Or were they Duncan designed?
                Last edited by Carbuff; 04-13-2006, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                  OK, what was the model designation? Was it MIJ? It sure looks similar to the XL spec.
                  Control cavity is wrong for an XL or XLR. It should be longer, rounder and a little thinner.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yup thats definetly a JK20 from musicians friend

Comment

Now, I'm stumped. What's new? I have a complete Kelly that I thought was a KE3. It has a 99XXXX serial number; sharkies; not-reversed headstock; black and beautiful. But it has the same small control cavity. Just what the hell do I have?
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fettster
                        Now, I'm stumped. What's new? I have a complete Kelly that I thought was a KE3. It has a 99XXXX serial number; sharkies; not-reversed headstock; black and beautiful. But it has the same small control cavity. Just what the hell do I have?
                        Take the neck off and have a look in the neck pocket.

Comment

Take the neck off and have a look in the neck pocket.
                          Won't do it. The sucker is stock, except it has real Duncans in it. SH-2 and TB-4. I am not going to screw with it. Thank you very much.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X