Kelly body ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Fettster
    Won't do it. The sucker is stock, except it has real Duncans in it. SH-2 and TB-4. I am not going to screw with it. Thank you very much.
    So unbolting a neck makes it "unstock"? It goes back together the opposite way of how you took it off.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
      So unbolting a neck makes it "unstock"? It goes back together the opposite way of how you took it off.
      No, you big dope, you. It is so nice I don't want to take it apart. I usually take apart all my guitars to see the guts and such. But this one, I'll leave alone until I get the bug to see the pocket. Now that you've pissed me off, I got got the bug. If I ding it, it's all your fault.:ROTF: I'll mail the strap tomorrow!!!!!!
      Last edited by fett; 05-03-2006, 06:47 PM.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

It's all my fault! And thanks again for the strap... it'll go great on my new Charvel Star I've got coming.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So, I got the body. Its nice, in great shape. Decision time. Should I use a dk2 neck or a ps4 neck (offset dots, reverse head). I have both allthough using the dk2 neck will mean taking another guitar apart. But, what else is new.

Comment

Reverse head!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
              Take the neck off and have a look in the neck pocket.
              I finally got around to taking the 'tar apart. Very interesting. There was not stamp in the pocket. The neck had S37 in pencil on the butt. The pickups are a JNL and a TB5L. Based on the Duncan site, that dates the pickups to before 2002. The pickups aren't stock so I know that really doesn't help alot. Did they make mahogany bods? The raw wood that I can see in the pocket sure looks like mahogany to me.

Comment

Probably Alder. Never heard of an import mahogany Kelly, but you never know. Pictures?

JNL = "J"azz "N"eck wound by "L" (not as good as a "J" LOL!)
                TB5L = Wide spaced Duncan Custom wound be the infamous "L"

You know, by taking off the neck, it will never sound as good as the factory original neck install. Also, make sure you torque the screws back in to the proper inch-pounds LOL!

Comment

Just as long as "L" doesn't stand for "Left" Here's the bad part of taking it apart. The Floyd bottom was way sunk into the cavity. When I went to even it up, the screws for the claw are angled so now the trem claw actually is above the body. I hope when I restring it and set in up it settles back down. I really don't want to plug and redrill the screw holes.

Comment

Can you post some pics?
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I just got back on Photobucket. Silly me. I forgot my user name. I already fixed everything and the 'tar is back in the case. No need for pictures on this..
                      Last edited by fett; 06-15-2006, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Hey, I forgot about this thread. Since I started it I guess it deserves an after pic. Bridge is a dimarzio super distortion and the neck is some no name paf-ish type thing that matched, zebra wise. Neck is from a ps4 performer.

Comment

Working...
                        X