DK2M Trans Black Pics - Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M Trans Black Pics - Review

I received the DK2M last Friday. I've been busy trying to get my house in order for my upcoming operation and playing it like a madman before I go under. So sorry for the delayed pics and review.

Overall I'm thrilled with it. It's beautiful and it has the basic features and beyond of what I really like in a guitar. It plays very smooth and the action is quite low. If something were to happen to it I'd surely buy another to replace it. I think that about sums up my overall satisfaction.

On to the nuts n guts:

The body, headstock and neck are beautiful. The black binding is an awesome touch. The machine heads are adequate and seem to work fine. The neck is smooth as silk and I find it difficult to make any significant preferences of feel of the maple fretboard on this DK2M versus the rosewood on my DX10D. They both play like butter, though I prefer maple. I think that's more of eye appeal to me. That and I can more easily find my (lost ass) way on maple a bit better. The sharfins are nicely done. The frets are a lot smoother at their ends on the neck where your hands could feel them (my dx10d needed a lil work here. no biggie). The trem works great and seems to hold it's tuning just fine as is (more on that in a bit).

As I figured, the JB trembucker didn't satisfy my personal taste in a bridge pickup. It's OK I guess but it lacks versatility for tone to my ears. It is either too shrill or too muddy for my liking. The Jazz is one of my only two neck pups for consideration and I love it, so it stays. The volume and tone knobs were loose upon arrival. This is common with imports and a screwdriver is the cure. The trem was out of intonation at the D string (only). This can be a pain to adjust but again, no biggie to me.

Mods/Upgrades Complete:

I have already changed the bridge pup out with a Full Shred. I pulled the 3 way switch and put in an All Parts standard 5 way. I added an Orange Drop 22 to the tone pot and rewired pickups, switch, etc., accordingly. I had to move the D string saddle all the way back to its most distant hole in order to intonate correctly-A minor annoyance.

This baby is now almost all I ever want it to be. I will probably add a Tremol-No to it in the near future. But as of now I'm very happy with its playbility and tone quality. Now let me see if I can get these pics on here correctly (not the greatest quality but it'll have to do).

Last edited by T@rgetDrone; 05-24-2006, 03:50 PM.
    In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Very cool man, I like mine alot. I too changed the pup, I put in a tonezone. My only gripe is the trem arm, is there a trick to keeping it tight?
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I sort of gave up on trying to keep the trem arm tight. I just learned to work with it being slinky and I kind of got use to it that way. My DX10D is the same way. I'm sure there are things you can do to tighten it up some. A nonabbrasive washer/disk, O shaped, might work.

I discovered that when I bought the Fastloader for my DX10D that the trem arm cover (threaded part) was a bit deeper and it stayed in place better than the original. Though that's kind of a pricey way to get an alternate trem arm. Maybe I'll order a Fastloader in black just for the trem arm that comes with it. HeHe!
      In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Nice guitar man! Glad to see you like it! I couldn't decide on T.black or white, so I dove for white. I haven't checked the intonation on mine, probably out. I also had a lose tone knob, only mine was the nut holding it in place, not the knob.

Comment

NIce AXE man.....Crimson swirl is on my list to buy

Comment

Another one! We need a new forum here. The DK2M forum. Thanks for the mini review, T@rget.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Looks good! I'll be snagging one of these shortly. I've got a Full Shred in my Soloist Pro, and it's been a great pickup where the JB was a bit lacking.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by T@rgetDrone
                I sort of gave up on trying to keep the trem arm tight. I just learned to work with it being slinky and I kind of got use to it that way. My DX10D is the same way. I'm sure there are things you can do to tighten it up some. A nonabbrasive washer/disk, O shaped, might work.

I discovered that when I bought the Fastloader for my DX10D that the trem arm cover (threaded part) was a bit deeper and it stayed in place better than the original. Though that's kind of a pricey way to get an alternate trem arm. Maybe I'll order a Fastloader in black just for the trem arm that comes with it. HeHe!

Thanks man, maybe some thread tape will do it. I also had to put on strat knobs, damn domes are to high for me.
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Nice guitar, the trans black looks good!

Is it real trans black, or is it a picture of it that they put on top of the wood ?

Comment

It's "real" trans black. We don't do "photo flame".

Comment

Wow straight from the source!

I have a vague memory that the imports had photo flame a few years ago. So they're made the same way as the USAs are now ?

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x
                        Thanks man, maybe some thread tape will do it. I also had to put on strat knobs, damn domes are to high for me.
                        How about if you drill a small hole in the trem bar collar and insert a grub screw?
                        Like tonepros does to it's stopbars?
                        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

You can get replacement trem arm assemblies for the real Floyd Rose that are much better and should be a direct retrofit into your bridge. I would go that route rather than dinkin' around with the existing trem arm assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob From Accounting
                            I have a vague memory that the imports had photo flame a few years ago. So they're made the same way as the USAs are now ?
                            That would be the infamous "gravure" finishes on some of the `90s imports.

In a demonstration of marketing genius, Samick has/had magazine ads proclaiming the virtues of a photo-flame finish, just as the big names were ceasing the practice. A good paper top really brings out the ass-end in a "bonded tonewood" guitar!
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah the photo-flame really looked like ass. Glad they stopped it

Comment

Working...
                              X