JT580 replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT580 replacement

is it possible to replace the Jackson floyd with an original one? I have a Japanese Jackson DX10DFS I've already replaced the duncan designed pickups with the real ones (a 59 in the bridge and a jazz in the neck). I'd like to put a floyd original in the there, is it an easy swap, do I have to buy a particular sized floyd?....help!

what a coincidence. I am actually considering the same move and have that very Jackson model too. I posted a similar thread and was recommended that I replace the JT580 with an OFR which will retro-fit.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Based on my limited knowledge with a lot of Real Floyds and others, it seems to me that the measurements, post to post, are the same. Why would they change that? The only difference, other than quality, is the length of the block. Flush or recessed? There is one other consideration. That is whether the routing was made for some "Floyds" that have rounded bottom edges or squared edges. If I am wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about it.:ROTF:
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

For a recessed trem, you will need the 32mm block.

Apart from that, the only issue that could potentially cause troubles with retrofitting an OFR, is if you downtune the guitar: The OFR locking screws are quite long, and after you've intonated the guitar after tuning down, they may overshoot the recess route. If that happens, I'd suggest you take the locking screws to a tech to have them shortened a bit.

But really, an OFR is worth it!

Comment

thanks for the tips folks, the jt580 is decent, I mean it stays in tune but it doesn't have the same quality as a schaller one I have on my old Charvel spectrum, I suppose a schaller is another possibility.
          Last edited by GUEVARA; 06-01-2006, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GUEVARA
            thanks for the tips folks, the jt580 is decent, I mean it stays in tune but it doesn't have the same quality as a schaller one I have on my old Charvel spectrum, I suppose a schaller is another possibility.
            yeah the schaller has the shorter lock screws
            I like the schaller version a lot
            it sounds a slight bit warmer and is as good quality as a OFR
            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Anyone have any experience with Gotoh F/R's? Are they any good?
              www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Originally posted by Speiro
                Anyone have any experience with Gotoh F/R's? Are they any good?
                Yep. I have one on my Model 6. It rules!!

The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary
                  Yep. I have one on my Model 6. It rules!!
                  Basically the Gotoh I can get for £120 or an original FR is £150 so is the original worth and extra £30?

Comment

I would just get the OFR if you're going to spend money on a new trem

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy
                      I would just get the OFR if you're going to spend money on a new trem
                      +1

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
                        +1
                        OFR it is then
                        Thanks

Comment

I'd like to replace the bridge on my DK2 with a Floyd, but I have a couple questions:

1. Should I be worried about the locking screws overlapping the route as mentioned above? I've been looking at pictures, and it appears that the recess on a Soloist is a bit larger than that on a DK2, and I assume thats because of the above? Could I just use shorter screws (if I can find them, that is)?

2. I've heard a Floyd Rose Pro (Low Profile) is not a straight fit; is that true? What would I have to do to make it fit?

Comment

The fit should be fine. I replace all of my Jackson bridges with OFR's and they are perfect.

Go with the OFR instead of the Floyd Pro though.
                            Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

I don't remember what was special about the Lo Pro FR. Different string spacing, or different post spacing or some such thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X