Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna mod my SLSMG, need tuners/bridge info..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Newc and straycat. I look at every used guitar as a new pup from the pound. They need to be acclimated to a new home and owner. They need love and maintenance. Put your best into them and they will give you their best.

Then you rock the hell out of them and grab them by the neck on a daily basis and make them submit.

Once in a while you find a lost cause, but someone else may be a better match for them.
    Oh and no rescued animals were harmed in the making of this post.
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
    A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      The tuners:

The strings:
      Those are sold in packs at guitar stores, some CD/DVD retailers, and WalMart. Buy a couple of packs.
      The electrical issues:
      The internet is loaded with free information on how to solder correctly. This doesn't mean everyone on the planet takes the time to look up that info. Just because they didn't, doesn't mean you shouldn't either.
      Or just throw it in the trash bin for the garbage man to pick up if all that's just too much work.
      The strings: Um, yeah... I've strung a guitar a "few" times. My point was not that I couldn't fix it but that the seller gave me a line of BS.

The input jack: Again, not that I can't fix it - I have a house full of tools and know how to use them... Point is that if the seller had ever plugged in (and he says he did) then he would know that the jack was shot.

Garbage man: No need - I sold the guitar today. (and I was even able to solder, string and clean it MYSELF! <bonus points!>)

Last edited by psychles; 06-27-2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Just to add to NewC's comment, the black Jackson nuts are plastic, and so is Earvana option.

Graphtech products are also not made of graphite (they were once 20 years ago hence the name) but a man-made ivory-like material called TUSQ. The TUSQ XL (or Black XL) is the same but infused with PTFE (generic name for Teflon) a substance 5 times slipperier than graphite.

Last edited by GraphTechGray; 09-13-2011, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GraphTechGray View Post
          Just to add to NewC's comment, the black Jackson nuts are plastic, and so is Earvana option.

Graphtech products are also not made of graphite (they were once 20 years ago hence the name) but a man-made ivory-like material called TUSQ. The TUSQ XL (or Black XL) is the same but infused with PTFE (generic name for Teflon) a substance 5 times slipperier than graphite.
          Why bump a thread from a few months ago just to promote your business? We have sponsors here for that.
          Also, why do your Floyd saddles suck?!? Got a set of those a couple years ago... barely turning the string locking screw made the saddles crack! What a waste of fucking money.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The comment was ok (I learned something) but the shameless plug was lame. Toe, can't you just remove the link from his post (and your quote of it?)
            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Toe, I have removed the link as I am not here to sell stuff, just myth-bust "made of graphite".

But please contact us if you are having an issue with a prouct.

Comment

Ok, thanks. It was a couple years back, and I was told by someone at Graph Tech there was nothing that could be done, that it was my fault the saddles cracked (two or three of them). I may still have the set laying around in the parts bin somewhere...

Comment

Joe, I know Gray personally and he's a good guy, although he does need to own some Jacksons. If anyone can help you out, it's him. I don't think he's here to make sales, more just provide accurate (from the manufacturers point of view) knowledge about the product and check out the forum.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Good to know. Thanks, HB!

Comment

I fully support GraphTec nuts if I'm stuck without a Floyd nut option. In fact, I found a couple of them in my parts box the other day which I ordered a few years ago (over 10 years, probably!) and will be replacing worn factory nuts this week with them.

Only trouble I've ever had with them was when I wanted to sand the bottom to customize the height for a given guitar - kinda hard to do since the teflon factor does its thing on the file

I've never tried the Floyd saddles, but then never really had an issue with stock ones, so I didn't see the need.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

They say to use fine sand paper to adjust height. I just put a pre slotted one on my epi lp and my only complaint is that they don't slot them big enough. I couldn't fit 12s this time and my 11 get bound up sometimes
                        I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          I've never tried the Floyd saddles, but then never really had an issue with stock ones, so I didn't see the need.
                          I never had an issue with stock Floyd saddles either. I was curious and decided to try the Graph Tech, and I didn't notice any tone difference with them. If you ever try them, don't dare to turn the lock screws a hair too tight or they'll crack.
                          I do like their hardtail string saver saddles and have them on my Carvin 7-string.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            Why bump a thread from a few months ago just to promote your business? We have sponsors here for that.
                            Also, why do your Floyd saddles suck?!? Got a set of those a couple years ago... barely turning the string locking screw made the saddles crack! What a waste of fucking money.
                            ANGER...RISING!!

Ok, thanks. It was a couple years back, and I was told by someone at Graph Tech there was nothing that could be done, that it was my fault the saddles cracked (two or three of them). I may still have the set laying around in the parts bin somewhere...
                            ANGER...SUBSIDING

Good to know. Thanks, HB!
                            anger....gone!

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                              They say to use fine sand paper to adjust height. I just put a pre slotted one on my epi lp and my only complaint is that they don't slot them big enough. I couldn't fit 12s this time and my 11 get bound up sometimes
                              Most preslotted nuts come with basic guide slots you have to finalize with slot files. They work for 8s and 9s well enough.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Graphtech nuts are actually molded with the slots in them rather than being cut after the fact. The electrics are best suited for 10-46, the acoustics match is 12-53, and the bass ones are 50-105. But can obviously be cut by a capable tech to accommodate a larger gauge.
                                Last edited by GraphTechGray; 07-28-2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X