KE-3 Necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KE-3 Necks?

I was wondering how the necks on these guitars feel? I was considering buying one but the neck on my friends bolt on Dkmgt made me kinda think twice about buying it. The wood on it felt really weird and he had only got it the day before. Are the KE-3s the same?

the profile is different. the ke3 will suffer neck dive whereas the dkmg(t) won't, presumably because it's thinner than that on the ke3. otherwise, your friend's dkmgt needs a setup.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Could you specify what you mean by " feeling really weird"?

Generally spoken, both the DKMGT and the KE3 should have the same finish on the neck.
      If you didn't like it, then better try before you buy.

My experience is that the feel can vary quite alot from guitar to guitar... my own DKMGT has a very smooth neck (even after years of playing), yet I have played Pro series Jacksons in stores that had a more glossy finish.
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Well it felt...cheap. Like the wood could have been better or something. Of coarse yea it did need a set-up though but i dont really know how that would affect my likeing of the feeling of the wood. He had just got it the previous day from musiciansfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by Toast
          Well it felt...cheap. Like the wood could have been better or something. Of coarse yea it did need a set-up though but i dont really know how that would affect my likeing of the feeling of the wood. He had just got it the previous day from musiciansfriend.
          Maybe it felt "new"? I hate the feeling of new bolt-on guitars. I feel like they are some kind of furniture more than a guitar
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi
            the profile is different. the ke3 will suffer neck dive whereas the dkmg(t) won't, presumably because it's thinner than that on the ke3. otherwise, your friend's dkmgt needs a setup.
            I think it's just cos the "explorer" shape is less well balanced... My KE3 has arguably one of the THINNEST necks I've ever played, on a Jackson or otherwise (bar a friend's TH-2 Stealth which no one has ever heard of).

If you can live with the neck dive, kellys look cooler

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed
              My KE3 has arguably one of the THINNEST necks I've ever played, on a Jackson or otherwise ... kellys look cooler
              How does the neck of a KE3 compares to the one a RR3?

I tried a 2006 RR3 last evening and loved it... But since I got my cheapo JS30 Kelly, I now want a KE3...

To me, the RR3 neck was feeling a bit thinner/less round in my hands compare to a DKMG neck... But that's my feeling.

Can someone comment?
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi
                the ke3 will suffer neck dive whereas the dkmg(t) won't, presumably because it's thinner than that on the ke3.
                that's because of the strap button location not because the neck is thinner.
                i have two jackson rhoads...one is neckthru and has strap button on where the bolts would be on bolt on neck. and that one doesn't dive. the other is a bolt on and has a strap button moved a little bit up and it dives. now, i've heard people say that if you move the strap button to the place where the bolt is, it will stop diving.

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA
                  How does the neck of a KE3 compares to the one a RR3?

I tried a 2006 RR3 last evening and loved it... But since I got my cheapo JS30 Kelly, I now want a KE3...

To me, the RR3 neck was feeling a bit thinner/less round in my hands compare to a DKMG neck... But that's my feeling.

Can someone comment?
                  The KE3 is thinner than the RR3.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed
                    The KE3 is thinner than the RR3.
                    Thanks!!!
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Neck dive? I think it's only the neck-thru Kelly models that are more prone to diving. Never had the problem with one with a bolt-on neck.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
                        that's because of the strap button location not because the neck is thinner.
                        i have two jackson rhoads...one is neckthru and has strap button on where the bolts would be on bolt on neck. and that one doesn't dive. the other is a bolt on and has a strap button moved a little bit up and it dives. now, i've heard people say that if you move the strap button to the place where the bolt is, it will stop diving.
                        my rr3 doesnt dive and its strap button is on the side of the neck plate. maybe its just the strap you use? i use perri's straps on all my guitars and none of them dive

Comment

Originally posted by slayer32390
                          my rr3 doesnt dive and its strap button is on the side of the neck plate. maybe its just the strap you use? i use perri's straps on all my guitars and none of them dive
                          yeah, good leather straps help a lot. I have a cheap piece of shit strap . With that same strap, bolt-on dives and the neck-thru doesnt.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                            Neck dive? I think it's only the neck-thru Kelly models that are more prone to diving. Never had the problem with one with a bolt-on neck.
                            Really? Like Nazgul said, my POS strap might have something to do with it but my KE-3 likes to look at the floor when I'm not holding the neck. How come the neck thru ones dive? I recall Sanctuary saying something or other about how neck thrus balance better than bolt ons for weird shapes. ?

Comment

I don't know. I've only ever owned bolt-on Kellys. I had a Standard in the early '90s, I don't think it had the dive problem, but I didn't own it very long. Then I had a Kelly XLR and definitely didn't have a problem with that one. I've heard people here complaining before about the neck-thru KE-1s and KE-2s diving. Strange.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X