Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far off in overall quality are the imports from the usa ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in general, all of the jackson imports ive played have been put together extremely well. no structural or cosmetic issues and they play and feel great all the time. the only difference i notice between the USAs and the imports is the quality of electronics (jackson imports tend to have horrible electronics, always getting scratchy, coming loose or going bad) and the overall "feel" of the instrument. USA's seem heavier, meatier and of higher quality.

you know when you ride in a Honda, and then you ride in a BMW or something? You can just feel the difference in quality, not speaking of performance here, just the way the doors open and close, or the way the dash feels, or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa
      in general, all of the jackson imports ive played have been put together extremely well. no structural or cosmetic issues and they play and feel great all the time. the only difference i notice between the USAs and the imports is the quality of electronics (jackson imports tend to have horrible electronics, always getting scratchy, coming loose or going bad) and the overall "feel" of the instrument. USA's seem heavier, meatier and of higher quality.

you know when you ride in a Honda, and then you ride in a BMW or something? You can just feel the difference in quality, not speaking of performance here, just the way the doors open and close, or the way the dash feels, or whatever.
      Yea +1 on the "feel" thing. At the mimimum I always change out the electronics. Also, for maple necks the USA's use 1/4" sawn maple (stronger grain direction) and the imports use run of the mill maple. I don't really know if the standard maple necks are "weaker" in general, but the 1/4 sawn maple looks better.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

yup

either way, both USA and import jacksons are well worth the money, and definately the best guitars in the world!

Comment

The Japanese guitars asre made very well for a entry/lower level instrument. The electronics as mentioned, are not in the same league as the US guitars and the fit & finish aren't as good- but they're not supposed to be. I know that Fender/Korea uses bodies made of up to 7 pieces while the Corona Custon Shop uses 1 or 2 piece bodies only.

To me, the biggest difference is the abscence of "full-body tone" on the imports. The rice-burner Duncan pickups don't have as much "depth" as the US ones, but man, for $300-$500. they are probably the best guitars
          I've played. Ibanez RG's come close, but not quite....
          Strat God Music
          http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Great info all. I just bought a 2005 DK2 with blue and orange flames because it was so cheap. 349.00 new old stock!! So when I get it I will chime in as well....should be here next wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by Strat God
              The Japanese guitars asre made very well for a entry/lower level instrument. The electronics as mentioned, are not in the same league as the US guitars and the fit & finish aren't as good- but they're not supposed to be. I know that Fender/Korea uses bodies made of up to 7 pieces while the Corona Custon Shop uses 1 or 2 piece bodies only.

To me, the biggest difference is the abscence of "full-body tone" on the imports. The rice-burner Duncan pickups don't have as much "depth" as the US ones, but man, for $300-$500. they are probably the best guitars
              I've played. Ibanez RG's come close, but not quite....
              If Japanese instruments are entry/lower level.. what do you call Korean/Chinese/Indonesian manufacture? I'm really not too sure that the Jackson Stars series, or the ESP Customs, or the Ibanez J-Craft factories can be lumped in that category.

Honestly, this multi piece body stuff really amounts to just snobbery. Yes, USA factories probably use better QUALITY wood. But I really doubt that the number of pieces matters (unless it's so many little pieces it turns into ply or MDF )

Jap imports, love em. Change the pickups and you're ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed
                Honestly, this multi piece body stuff really amounts to just snobbery. Yes, USA factories probably use better QUALITY wood.
                That's BS...unless it's an early Jap import.
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

hmmm, i dont know, my model6 has been thru hell & back....actually its still not completely back, needs to be rewired. i would argue its as good as most USA made guitars, it also stood up to abuse better than the 2 USA ST-3's, neckthru Bich, custom strat suhr neck/warmoth body & warmoth tele that were all trashed to the point of being garbage during my gigging years. its also the only import i havent sold & replaced with something nicer.

Comment

That's one freakin' cool relicked Model 6, mate.
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary
                      That's BS...unless it's an early Jap import.
                      what exactly are you BSing me about? And anyway that was just an assumption, I don't really know nor care.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, I have an AT Pro that is FABULOUS !!! One of the best guitars I've ever played and I have a bunch to compare it to. If it had a trem, I'd be reaching for this one often !! EXCELLENT quality, check it out.

Comment

i have an import.. 2005 dk2 pile o skulls and its awesome.. neck is so nice and smooth.. sound is amazing and im still using the ducan designed pups
                          after 6 months the volume pot is scratchy and the input jack isnt as tight, it wiggles (even tho i tightened the bolt) but that is no prob 2 change
                          If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Working...
                          X