Sperzels on JS-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sperzels on JS-20

This week, I replaced the stock tuners on my son's JS-20 with locking Sperzels. Not quite a straight forward swap. I had to drill out the tuner holes with a 10 mm drill, but all else went well.

What a difference!!! Not only is it easier to re-string, but the tone is vastly improved. Better low end response and the sound of the guitar is much tighter and responsive. Stays in tune better too!

You got it! One of the best way's to go in tuners IMHO! Congrats!
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Talk about polishing a turd!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Jim Chen do you mean JS-20 or JSR20? The JSR20 has the Wilkinson trem and no locking nut. If it is a JS-20 then I'd agree with Ron.

Comment

Jackson-Charvel, no such thing as a JSR20. Do you mean JRS-2?

Aside from that, why be condescending to the guy for trying to improve a beginner guitar? The body and neck of the JS-20 are a decent base to start from to make a solid guitar. Isn't this the same way most of us got started?

Congrats Jim Chen sounds like you've opened yourself up to doing more and more improvements on your guitars! (if you haven't been doing that already)
          Occupy JCF

Comment

stupid question: wtf is a sperzel? pix?
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

They're locking tuners dude. You don't have to wind the string round and round, just feed it in, lock it, clip the end of and it takes like half to one turn to get it up to pitch. I have em on my PRS, handy, but somehow I still like the look of normal tuners better. And without winds upon winds around the peg, I can't help but be afraid something might fall off! Haha.

Comment

Tekky yes JRS-2 I have one and it's nothing like a JS series, just a clarification, not trying to be condescending.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel
                  Tekky yes JRS-2 I have one and it's nothing like a JS series, just a clarification, not trying to be condescending.
                  I've got two of them, and you're right, they're nothing like the JS series. But you agreed with Ron on the "polishing a turd" comment. To me, that was condescending. Instead of encouraging him to continue to make that guitar the best he can make it (you never know, maybe that guitar fits his budget at the moment), you've pretty much pissed in his cheerios. To be honest with you, I'd rather grab a JS-20 and modify it than something more expensive.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

And..he also said it was his sons guitar. I don't think it's his, or his first one JMO
                    BTW jimchen, I am a big fan of Sperzels, just never got around to putting them on my
                    RR5, though it needs it.

Comment

My first Jackson was a JS-1, and it was great. So, a great big "nyah" to the critics! As for Sperzels, I've got two Jacksons with them, and another that needs them. Both of the Sperzel-equipped guitars have fixed bridges, but I am notorious for bending right out of tune, so every little bit helps.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
                        You got it! One of the best way's to go in tuners IMHO! Congrats!
                        Agreed!

Comment

Working...
                        X