Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import flame top quality???

Hry guys,

So Im gassin for a KE-3 at the moment and am probably gonna grab a 2005 model cause their being blown out all over the place. So i was leaning towards a crimson swirl but they are hard to find so my next choices are either the blue or red flame top model. So i was just wondering how nice the tops look on the jap imports preferrably a kelly. The red looks like it doesnt have much of deep flame too it and the blue doesnt look as dark as id like it to be. So if anyone has got some real pics of some import flametops (not catalog images) Id love to see them so I can make up my mind and get this fucker already. Thanks fellas. Later.

The few Pro series i've seen with flames (KE, RR) look kind of weak and too thin to me. Go for a solid colour or graphic finish.

Comment

There is Photo-Flame and real Flame and there is a big difference. Which is it? Gurus? By the way, welcome to the board.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Here's my MIJ soloist, veneer flame top w/natural finish...

Hope this helps,
        QR
        Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

I don't know about the newer ones, but I got a PS6T from Todd (Tekky) a couple of years ago, and the top looked great. It was just a veneer, but very nice.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Mark-

I ordered mine in Jan 2006, and it was in my greedy little hands last month. So mine is a "newer one", and also a veneer. But I'm REAL happy with the way it looks
            Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

QR that is a Nice veneer on that MIJ Soloist, I'ld like to find a Veneer like that for a certain project I have in mind. Slash you seeing this
              According To The Prophecy

Comment

the foto flames were donly done in the mid 90s and for a short time. what you see are actual figured tops. and really, for what you're paying for the guitar, it's not a bad deal. you're not gonna get a AAAAAAAAAA flame top on a $600 guitar.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Drake S.
                  QR that is a Nice veneer on that MIJ Soloist, I'ld like to find a Veneer like that for a certain project I have in mind. Slash you seeing this
                  Check this guys stuff out...
                  http://stores.ebay.com/Fraser-Valley...rs_W0QQfsubZ14

I just ordered a 4A quilted maple veneer set from these guys.

Cost... $10... that's right.... $10.
                  It's paper thin (.7mm), so it can be shaped onto most tops without having to steam it first. You will need to use steam and soften it if you have any serious curves.

They have a nice tiger set for $8

Last edited by rjohnstone; 06-27-2006, 10:29 PM.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider
                    Mark-

I ordered mine in Jan 2006, and it was in my greedy little hands last month. So mine is a "newer one", and also a veneer. But I'm REAL happy with the way it looks
                    Yes, looks great to me. I love the natural too!
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yup, I used his veneers on my headstock.. came out awesome! Check my Rhoads thread in general for pics. Good stuff he sells, VERY nice figure and no blemishes.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
                        Check this guys stuff out...
                        http://stores.ebay.com/Fraser-Valley...rs_W0QQfsubZ14

I just ordered a 4A quilted maple veneer set from these guys.

Cost... $10... that's right.... $10.
                        It's paper thin (.7mm), so it can be shaped onto most tops without having to steam it first. You will need to use steam and soften it if you have any serious curves.

They have a nice tiger set for $8

I was thinking about order the same thing. Let me know how it turns out. I plan to use this on my fretless p-bass. The quilted will be for a trans red head stock and body. The flammed veneer for a trans black pickguard.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider
                          Here's my MIJ soloist, veneer flame top w/natural finish...

Hope this helps,
                          QR
                          now THAT is gorgeous :notworthy:
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

very nice.

Comment

The flame maple on my Fusion Pro is kinda weak in my opinion, its real veneer and looks decent and you get some "movement" but its not impressive at all.
                              I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Working...
                              X