Question about my DK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about my DK2

I'm ordering an OFR for my DK2 and I have a choice of 1 & 11/16" (narrow) or 1 & 11/16" (wide) nut...Which should I choose?
    ------------------------------------------------
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I dont know the answer to the question but it might not even matter. I would just keep the nut you have on there unless theres something wrong with it. The new one will most likely have a different height than the original and require a shim or shaving of the nut shelf.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking the same thing...I didn't think it made any difference other than just those dimensions pertaining to the nut. The bridge will be the same no matter what.
      Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Agreed. Don't mess with the nut if it's working good.

Comment

+1

Comment

Leave the nut alone.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Right, I just really wanted to make sure it had nothing to do with the bridge string spacing. I've heard some floyds have slightly different spacing and that spooked me.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Comment

The wide nut is for a bound neck narrow for a non bound neck.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Won't he need a short block to fit that OFR on a recess trem guitar?
                  Just one more guitar!

Comment

Just to be safe, here's the one I'm planning on buying.

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...floyd_original

Comment

Prices seem OK, but if you just need the trem, ebay is your friend. Save some dough, because the trem will end up being worth 1/2 of the guitar. If this was a higher end model, I could see shelling out the big bucks.

My DK-2 is in mint new condition, I love playing it, but I think the trem is good enough that's on there. I'm not a whammy bar nut either, however.

Comment

The nut that comes with the OFR is indeed too tall. Take the advice to leave the original nut in there. Will work just fine. And yes the block will have to be shortened. I modded my DK2 with one and all I did was drill the holes for the springs a lil' deeper, cut off the excess and it was good to go. I did this cuz I didn't wanna bother with having to order the correct length block.
                        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP
                          Agreed. Don't mess with the nut if it's working good.
                          That's what she said...
                          If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey
                            The nut that comes with the OFR is indeed too tall. Take the advice to leave the original nut in there. Will work just fine. And yes the block will have to be shortened. I modded my DK2 with one and all I did was drill the holes for the springs a lil' deeper, cut off the excess and it was good to go. I did this cuz I didn't wanna bother with having to order the correct length block.

Wait a minute I've read on this board that the OFR was a drop-in replacement on the DK2...Also, I don't see anything on warmoth's site about "block" size differences.

Comment

I see that the Warmoth site's OFR has a block length of 37mm. The Schaller is longer at 43mm. Do you guys know the length of the short block? I have a machinist's scale here but it's 'murkan.

Comment

Working...
                              X