what is that floyd on the sl3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is that floyd on the sl3?

hello everybody, i am deciding what my next guitar should be, and the sl3 is one possibility, but of course i have a million questions about everything. i live pretty far away from a jackson dealer (and that's a pretty lame guitar center)...
    i've just caught myself, i could go on and on, but here is my question:
    what is that bridge on the new sl3's? in the specs on the jackson website it says "floyd rose frt-O2000", as opposed to floyd rose original. looking at the picture i think i am seeing flat-head screwdriver posts. wood screws??? what is up with this? i'm sorry if i have simply not been clever enough in searching for information.
    thanks for helping with me with one aspect of my guitar dilemma, i am also looking at rg1570/rg2570's, debating with myself about potentially spending around 1000 dollars on a guitar without playing it first, wondering about neck-through vs. bolt-on, and all kinds of things, if anybody wants to go the extra mile and give some advanced insight on my situation (about to start college, want a good guitar) thanks again!

I don't know about the Floyd question, but your best bet would be to get a Jackson, not an Ibanez. If you're looking to spend around $1000, you can pick up a good used one off of eBay. A neck-thru would increase sustain and tuning stability. If you're starting college soon, where's the fun in getting a good guitar if there's no where to play it loud?
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

The 2006 SL-3 has an original Floyd. Notice that it says "Floyd Rose®" as opposed to "licensed", so that's the real deal.

As for the trem posts, I highly doubt that the production model of the SL-3 would have wood screws. What you see on the website is a promo pic of a prototype or a mockup - notice that the tremposts aren't black like the rest of the bridge. Jackson/Charvel have been using trem posts with bushings in their imports models since the 80's, and I don't see why that would change. However, if you are unsure, you could post a question about it in the "ask Jackson" section.

As for neck-thru vs bolt-on:
      I don't believe in any of the nonsense about "more sustain" or added tuning stability. I have had both neck-thrus and bolt-ons and never noticed any clear differences in these areas. What a neck-thru does give you, is a different feel, a little different sound, and a little better fret access near the body. I personally prefer neck-thrus for those reasons, and those reasons alone.

I would stay clear of Ibanez, but that's because I just don't like their super thin necks.

Comment

Eh... I suppose the neck thru tuning thing seemed right to me since I'm comparing US Jacksons for import Fenders I had before.
        If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

thank you everybody. you are right, there's no way those could be wood screws, that's how rumors get started, ha. i know i can get a good used jackson off ebay, i'm just a little weary since it's a lot of money too me. and i'll be able to play it loud too, i'm attending in my hometown.
          and also yeah, i don't like how ibanez look or anything, but i played a friend's and was much more impressed by the trem on that than the licensed on my jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by blazingelectricdeath
            i played a friend's and was much more impressed by the trem on that than the licensed on my jackson.
            Ibanez trems are fantastic. The licensed JT580LP on the Jackson is pretty decent, though.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The new ones have the OFR bridge. A nice upgrade but the stock bridge I have on my older SL-3 is holding up fine and I give it lots of abuse. It holds its tuning well.
              With the Ibanez thing you might want to play a few before hand or even borrow one off a mate. Many people myself included don't like the feel of those necks.

Comment

i think i've got my self under enough control now that i can wait to play a guitar before i buy it. i hope.

Comment

Working...
                X