DXMG Vs. DKMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXMG Vs. DKMG

Okay, I've searched this forum high and low and can't find a versus thread between the DXMG and the DKMG. Please, if versus threads are not allowed tell me now so I don't make the same mistake twice. Anyway, How do the DXMG and DKMG stack up against each other? I'd like to hear opinions more than what Jackson says, since I value them more

Thanks,
    -Paul
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Me, personally, do not like the DXMG. It has a thick neck, which I don't prefer, and its pretty thick. I never tried the new ones, which has basswood body. Other than that, its just pickups for the most part.
    I never tried any form of a mg series other than that.

I assume that the dkmg is better though, quality wise.

Try them out.

Comment

Its basically basswood vs alder. The neck on the DKMG feels better. I had a DKGC37 which is basically a DKMG but with the forward headstock and sharkies. It sounded great even better then the regular DKMG. If im not mistaken i thnk the original run of DKMG's were basswood with alder cap. and mine was alder with a maple cap. Altho the maple was pretty thin it seemed to add something to the tone. I havent tried a new one with the real EMG's but i sure the neck is the same great neck and tone of alder but with real EMG's. The DKMG is my choice of the two its worth the bit extra cash.
      Gil

Comment

Never owned a DKMG, but I did have a DXMG and still have a WRMG. DX's neck was thinner, balance was better and a nice mid tone. Once tried a DKMGT but wasn't able to do a side-by-side comparison.
        Last edited by wilkinsi; 08-04-2006, 12:58 PM.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

DKMG: Better pickups (EMG 81/85), carved top, flame maple on trans colors, and a wide variety of finishes. Piranha tooth inlays. http://www.jacksonguitars.com/produc...tno=2910100523

DXMG: EMG HZ pickups, only available in 2 colors. Sharkfin inlays. http://www.jacksonguitars.com/produc...tno=2910103544

I like the DKMG better, but unless you're into carved tops or transparent finishes, I think the only quality difference is the pickups.

Comment

Absolutely LOVE my DXMG... have EMG 81/60s in there.. plays amazing. neck is probably the thinnest ive played outside of the Ibanez Wizards

Comment

Originally posted by JACKS0NESP
              Me, personally, do not like the DXMG. It has a thick neck, which I don't prefer, and its pretty thick.
              If you think the neck on that is thick, you've got problems!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a Black DXMG and a cobalt Blue DKMG both from the first couple years of the MG line. The neck on the DX was a little thicker but the tone of the 2 was identical with the stock EMG-HZs when the preamp in the DK is turned off.

Basically it's a matter of Sharkies or Piranhas and archtop or not.
                Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                  If you think the neck on that is thick, you've got problems!

It is thick for a Jackson neck...I've never played a 2006, but I prefer thinner necks. I played a KVX10, KE3 and own a KE2....all seem much easier to play. Could be the rock maple necks and quartersawn:~/

There is an rr5 I can try again, but from holding it, I found the neck to be stickier than my KE2....and bigger.

Comment

Dinky necks are pretty thin, always have been. Any thinner and you're getting into Ibanez Wizard territory.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

DXMG vs DKMG

It is thick for a Jackson neck...I've never played a 2006, but I prefer thinner necks. I played a KVX10, KE3 and own a KE2....all seem much easier to play. Could be the rock maple necks and quartersawn:~/

There is an rr5 I can try again, but from holding it, I found the neck to be stickier than my KE2....and bigger.
                      A couple fo points here. Eze of playing is more of a setup issue than a shape of a neck issue. Also a string gauge and string age issue. Old strings will be harder to play and keep in tune. The DKMG and the DK2 should have the same neck. so if yo like your DK2 neck ten the DKMG will feel the same, Where as the DXMG is a thicker neck then those. So if you like a thin neck consider the DKMG. Altho the KE3 neck is thinner but not by much.
                      The stickiness of the neck is again is relative too how much its been played. It probably just needs to be cleaned. Altho some do say the finished neck feels a bit stickier so it could be that facter. Ive never had an issue with that myself. Altho the KE2 is a finished neck and you have no mention of that being sticky. So id say go find a clean RR5 and see what thats like.
                      The RR5 is thicker at the first fret but theiiner as it goes up the neck than the DXMG but still a bit thicker than the DKMG/DK3 neck.
                      Gil

Comment

Hands down the DXMG is a better axe. After my BC Rich custom Warlock comes in I plan to get one and Emg the shit. DXMG rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK
                          A couple fo points here. Eze of playing is more of a setup issue than a shape of a neck issue. Also a string gauge and string age issue. Old strings will be harder to play and keep in tune. The DKMG and the DK2 should have the same neck. so if yo like your DK2 neck ten the DKMG will feel the same, Where as the DXMG is a thicker neck then those. So if you like a thin neck consider the DKMG. Altho the KE3 neck is thinner but not by much.
                          The stickiness of the neck is again is relative too how much its been played. It probably just needs to be cleaned. Altho some do say the finished neck feels a bit stickier so it could be that facter. Ive never had an issue with that myself. Altho the KE2 is a finished neck and you have no mention of that being sticky. So id say go find a clean RR5 and see what thats like.
                          The RR5 is thicker at the first fret but theiiner as it goes up the neck than the DXMG but still a bit thicker than the DKMG/DK3 neck.
                          Gil
                          The people in Musicstop(the store) don't let many people play the RR5, unless if they say they are really thinking of buying it because of the wearing of the gold hardware, so you would think that the neck would be decently clean. I know my ke2 could use a good cleaning now. I tried 2 RR5's, btw. Necks are different also, so that seems to be the difference. A friend of mine noticed the same...he couldn't play fast solos as well on the rr5 as he could on the ke3/ke2. Same for the DXMG...which further supports my idea....
                          The DXMG's are rather new also, as they are being bought weekly....or daily.

Comment

The people in Musicstop(the store) don't let many people play the RR5, unless if they say they are really thinking of buying it because of the wearing of the gold hardware, so you would think that the neck would be decently clean. I know my ke2 could use a good cleaning now. I tried 2 RR5's, btw. Necks are different also, so that seems to be the difference. A friend of mine noticed the same...he couldn't play fast solos as well on the rr5 as he could on the ke3/ke2. Same for the DXMG...which further supports my idea....
                            The DXMG's are rather new also, as they are being bought weekly....or daily.
                            Trust me - the back shape, the wood or the way the neck was sawn has very little impact on how fast you can play on a guitar. What you are experiencing is the import clearcoat creating drag against your sweaty paws.

Comment

alright, much appreciated guys, i thought it went alot further than pickups and body shape, since every specsheet i looked at gave me different specs. *COUGH* musiciansfriend has no clue how to write up a specsheet.
                              DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Working...
                              X