Dxmg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dxmg

I have an Ibanez RG 3120 Prestige and was wondering how a DXMG would compare to it as far as neck speed and shreadability. Sweep picking, pinch harmonics and just overall performance. Thanks Rich....

ibanez is supposed to have a thinner (and therefor faster) neck. sound-wise, i don't know.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The HZ's were pretty good for lower grade stock pickups for pinch harmonics. Not as good as active EMG's for them, but still good. The neck on the one I had was smooth and I liked it more than Ibanez necks.
      If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

Thin neck does not equal faster playing neck, as anyone who have seen someone shred on a Gibson LPC can testify. The difference between a thin neck and a thick neck, is a difference in FEEL and sometimes also REACH. Some players want really thin necks, because they get a certain playing position for their fretting hand that suits them - and it often enables them to reach further on high frets over the bass strings - good for 6-string arps I'd imagine.

I personally don't like too thin necks, because they don't fill out the palm of my hand enough, which makes me cramp after a few minutes (and I even have rather small hands). The Jackson will probably have a thicker neck than your Ibby. If you can, try one before you buy. That is the only way for you to discern if the neck is for you.

Other than that, the DXMG should be able to do everything an Ibanez does, including pinch harmonics, etc. I'm personally not a fan of its trem (JT580LP) or its pickups (EMG-HZ) though, but the cheaper Ibanezes aren't any better on those points IMO.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies....I can't locate a DXMG locally here in Michigan. It might be some time before the local Guitar Center gets one in. I'll just keep checking and hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to check one out.

Comment

rich, stick with the DXMG! throw some real EMGs and nice pots and you won't regret it!
            Last edited by mariuss; 08-07-2006, 06:36 AM.

Comment

There was a DXMG in our very old classifieds a few weeks ago...

Comment

Way to torture the newbs!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I bought that DXMG mentioned above, but I would recommend this Model 3 instead, even though it doesn't have a true locking nut. It's at a damn good price. Only reason I am not bidding on this is I already have a red Model 3 (which is my fav axe in my collection) with active EMGs as seen in my user pic, and am looking to get a black one next.

If you're still hell bent on a DXMG, there are four right now at eBay. Here's the best deal of the four:

Just a guitar player...

Comment

Here's a white Model 3 with EMGs, just like mine. Had this been in black, I'd be on this one. Very solid guitar.

Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                      Way to torture the newbs!
                      more incentive for them to participate more and join the rest of us in having no life!

Comment

Here's something with EMGs and a case, though the very noticable wood grain troubles me.

Last edited by texasfury; 08-09-2006, 01:38 PM.
                        Just a guitar player...

Comment

looks like a dr3 or something (before the dx10d came about)...?
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                          X