Rhoads ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads ID?

Hey guys... What Rhoads model had offset dots, HSS, and floyd? Might be neck thru as well, from what the guy says. Two pots (volume and tone presumably) and a 5 way. Any help appreciated. Did a search but didn't come up with anything really useful.

Was there ever a HSS Rhoads? Sounds like a parts mutt, maybe not even a C/J.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Weird... Here's the link for a pic.

This auction is for a classic randy rhoads V made by jackson. It has jumbo frets, a set neck (not bolt on) for great sustain and playability, a hot floyd ros...

Comment

Weird features. Ad says set neck but I doubt that. Offset dot inlays on ebony? If that's a real Jackson it seems like a custom shop.

Comment

you reckon that's ebony? Could be dark rosewood. That body looks a bit hinky to me too. Someone decided they'd rather a rear-loaded H-S-S setup, so they've made their own body, bolted up a Jackson neck and refinned in matte black. I wouldn't buy it without better pics and preferably after having had a personal inspection.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

That's nothing BUT ebony! It looks good.

Comment

it does look good, but the rosewood on my Fusion Plus (also with offset dots) is just as dark. So is the board on my Model 2. I can't make out the grain, but that might be my monitor, the quality of the pics, whatever

what do you think of the shape of the body? Something seems off about it to me.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the input guys - have asked for more pics, maybe those can shed some light.

Comment

Did anybody notice the logo on the single coils is upside down? They look like Jackson covers but are on upside down so probably a parts mutt or a replacement on the pups and put the covers on wrong.
                  Gil

Comment

Shape is fucked.
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                      Weird features. Ad says set neck but I doubt that. Offset dot inlays on ebony? If that's a real Jackson it seems like a custom shop.

It does look weird, but if it was a bolt on neck, where are the neck screws and plate. That one picture shows the back but I don't see a neck plate.
                      Guitars:
                      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                      1988 Model 2,
                      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                      RR3
                      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                      2005 SG Special

Comment

the seller has added new pics. Now we can see that the f/b is clearly rosewood. And it does appear to be neckthru, with a clear finished neck.

The body still looks whack. And the routs on the back look wrong to me too.

It's possible that someone glued a Jackson neck into a homemade body (effectively making it setneck) and then shaped the body to suit. A much closer inspection (preferably hands on) would be required to allow me to buy that guitar with any confidence.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

While I've seen a H-S-S Rhoads somewhere before, it was not a Jackson. This thing screams "fake!!!!!" to me...although it could be a heavilly modded parts mutt. I agree with Vit G that the back routes look wrong. The rear strap pin is also in the wrong location. The control layout also doesn't match any Jackson-made Rhoads I've ever seen. The only things looking legit on that thing are the neck, and maybe the trem (and both look like they came off low-end models).

Avoid. Definitely avoid.

Comment

The trem routing is set so far back it looks like the body is very thin and could crack inhalf. I would be scared the scale was wrong and the guitar can't be intonated properly. their alot better deals out there then $400 for that guitar. I just paid $500 for a RR5 on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                            X