My "new" Jackson Stars RR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjohnstone
    Huh.. the first frets??? You mean strings right?
    Measure from the nut to the 12th fret. Should be 12 1/4 inches (31.115 centimeters).
    My guess is the saddles on the trem need to be adjusted since you changed string gauges.
    I doubt the nut would be out of position.
    now im no floyd expert or anything( ) but what does the distance from the nut to the 12th fret have t odo with anything? if its not 12 1/4 would it need a truss adjustment?

Comment

Huh.. the first frets??? You mean strings right?
      Measure from the nut to the 12th fret. Should be 12 1/4 inches (31.115 centimeters).
      My guess is the saddles on the trem need to be adjusted since you changed string gauges.
      I doubt the nut would be out of position.
      I have intonated the usual way, you now 12th harmonic is the same as a fretted 12th and it's OK, but then you hit like an F (1st fret) or G (3rd fret) they are way out of tune.

Comment

If the distance from the nut to the 12th fret is off, you will never get the guitar to intonate properly. Depending on how far off it is, you can fudge a little and get real close.
        Adjusting the truss rod will not fix a poorly installed nut.
        You would have to remove the nut and re-install it at the proper location.
        Like I said... it sounds like the trem saddles need to be adjusted.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtma
          I have intonated the usual way, you now 12th harmonic is the same as a fretted 12th and it's OK, but then you hit like an F (1st fret) or G (3rd fret) they are way out of tune.
          Proper intonation is not 12th harmonic to 12th fretted... it's 12th harmonic to open.
          -Rick

Comment

I measured quick now, not very accurate but I got around 323,5-324mm and it should be 323,85 (Where did you get 31.115? Guess you ment 12 3/4 inch?)

Comment

I measured quick now, not very accurate but I got around 323,5-324mm and it should be 323,85 (Where did you get 31.115? Guess you ment 12 3/4 inch?)
              Yep... 12 3/4 inches / 32.385 cm. damn metric system.
              -Rick

Comment

Ah well, I'll try some more tomorrow...

Should the harmonic on the 5th freht be the same as the fretted 5th fret?

Comment

I read awhile back about intonating the 5th fret to the 17th fret. That method accounts for your playing pressure.....because you have to fret both notes. I do that and check other points in between to arrive at a good "average".

Comment

Proper intonation is not 12th harmonic to 12th fretted... it's 12th harmonic to open.

He was right, or at least more right. 12th harmonic and open are always going to be in tune, regardless of intonation.

The proper way to check intonation is open and 12th fretted - that way you can see if there is any pitch "drift" as you move up the fretboard in fretted notes. Many people use the 12th harmonic and 12th fretted comparison to check, because they're the same pitch and a difference will be easier to detect, and easier for a tuner to track more quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam

He was right, or at least more right. 12th harmonic and open are always going to be in tune, regardless of intonation.
                      I'll have to beg to differ with you on that.
                      If that were the case, all guitars will have perfect pitch regardless of bridge/saddle location.
                      Unless the action on your guitar is extremely high, there should be liitle difference between 12th fretted and 12th harmonic.
                      -Rick

Comment

Love the color!!!!
                        Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Really?

I don't. I want single hum, no friggin pickguard and BLACK BLACK BLACK all the way! I got some inspiration from the danish guy here! (jackson1?) I am afraid the rosewood would destroy it all though. Ebony ftw.
                          Last edited by Kurtma; 08-24-2006, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Really?

I don't. I want single hum, no friggin pickguard and BLACK BLACK BLACK all the way! I got some inspiration from the danish guy here! (jackson1?) I am afraid the rosewood would destroy it all though. Ebony ftw.
                            well if you dont want it ill take it off your hands

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul
                              One thing I forgot...If you want to suck Alexi's cock even more then set the floyd springs the way he did (actually it was Roope who set em up for him):

You will be amazed at the difference. Feel is a lot better then with normal parallel or arrow-shaped spring setup. I use 11-49 in D too . Not because of the Alexi, I do enjoy playing some of their older stuff though .

I'm curious. What is the reasoning behind the trem springs set that way???? Does it have something to do with the tension from the strings not being even???
                              Guitars:
                              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                              1988 Model 2,
                              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                              RR3
                              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                              2005 SG Special

Comment

I just measure from the nut to the D string saddle(take off point) it should be 25 1/2in and fine adjust intonation from that point.Seems to be the easy way to do it.
                                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X