SLSMG advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG advice

So I've been playing my SLSMG more, and I think it's time for new pickups. I have the older one with the HZs, and I honestly have to say I love the sound. I can play with stupid amounts of gain, and the clarity and note definition is amazing. My only issue is harmonics, they just sound kinda dull. I know it's not my technique cause I nail them no problem on my other guitars. I've never played with active EMGs, I was considering changing the input jack and upgrading to an 85 81 combo, but do these still have the clarity of the passives? If not, any other pickup suggestions?
    EAOS: 28JUN09

Seriously? Don't people usually change to actives cos they want better clarity?

I used to have this Zakk Wylde Epi LP with Hzs, they're alright, I don't think I had problems with the harmonics... It was probably the guitar inspiring the "Zakk" in me

Comment

I have had the HZs in an esp and hated them, not much tone change with a five way switch. With the 81/85 you still have clarity and awesome harmonics. They're far better then then the HZs. Best pickups I have ever had!

Comment

If it was me? I would put a cpl of Gibby pups in it. Like a 500t and a 496r or the BBpros. The harmonics not being that easy to get could also be an intonation issue. If your playing it right on the fret like its supposed to be and you dont get the harmonic clearly to moving your finger a bit either way and see if it changes for the better. If the guitar is intonated properly than its probably the pups not picking it up right. They could be to far from the strings or to close killing the sustain.
        Gil

Comment

Working...
        X