Opinions on Kevin Bond Rhoades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Kevin Bond Rhoades

Serious and honest apologies for mispelling the name of someone who deserves better.

Hi guys,

I played a red-beveled Kevin Bond signature Rhoads in Sam Ash yesterday. It seemed really nice - solid, super-light, and it really ripped through the Peavey JSX (nicest amp they had in the store). I came really close to walking out with it, but they wanted 1185 for it with no case, and that seemed a little steep for an import.

Plus, there's no Floyd. I had thought I made the right choice by walking out, but now I'm still thinking about the guitar.

Thanks to some hail damage to my car, I've got about 1200 to drop on a new guitar, so my next question is pertinent!

Do any of you own a KB Rhoads? What do you think of it?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Adam; 09-05-2006, 11:21 AM.

I've got one with green bevels and enjoy the hell out of it. Although, I have to admit that I'm looking to add another guitar with which to play clean/mellow things as the KB's only pickup (the Iommi) is a bit too hot for that. The price is about standard - I got it for a bit less through one of the board's sponsors. I have zero buyer's remorse.

Comment

I don't own one, but a few here do.

I have played one and it was an excellent guitar. Fit and finish=TOP NOTCH! Nice and light. Sweet neck.

I believe you may do better, or at least the same price WITH a case from Matt's Music or Scott at Vwall Guitars.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87
        I don't own one, but a few here do.

I have played one and it was an excellent guitar. Fit and finish=TOP NOTCH! Nice and light. Sweet neck.

I believe you may do better, or at least the same price WITH a case from Matt's Music or Scott at Vwall Guitars.
        Ok cool - thanks.

I played one of the Alexi Laiho LTDs at the same time yesterday, and apart from liking that it had a floyd, the inlays looked messy and the big yellow accents reminded me of Stryper. Plus it was only like $100 less, and it was made in Korea!

Why would I play the same price (basically) for a Korean LTD when a Japanese Jackson is right on the wall next to it??

Comment

IT ROCKS!!! I own Kevin´s ex-Jackson (see the thread over here: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59199 ). I will compare the signature series and the original CS right after I will come back from China.

Signature RR are awesome as well and definately worth of your money!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam
            Ok cool - thanks.

I played one of the Alexi Laiho LTDs at the same time yesterday, and apart from liking that it had a floyd, the inlays looked messy and the big yellow accents reminded me of Stryper. Plus it was only like $100 less, and it was made in Korea!

Why would I play the same price (basically) for a Korean LTD when a Japanese Jackson is right on the wall next to it??
            i wouldnt get the Laiho LTD...id get an Edwards from Japan (Ishibashi or similar store)...or even the original Laiho model (ESP) or the ESP SV (same guitar, 2 pickups, more standard inlays, EMG 81s). they messed with the body shape for the LTDs, its ok, but not like the original RR shape.

as for the Rhoads...i love my RR3, and messed around with an RR1 this weekend...defintetly a fine guitar! i wouldnt overlook the Jackson Stars models though...im actually thinking about them for a future guitar. and if you want a Rhoads with a Floyd, you may like the KB sig, but you might kick yourself later for NOT getting a Floyd (when the honeymoon is over). just a thought...
            My metal band Lucian Scott
            Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
            Available Now!
            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki
              as for the Rhoads...i love my RR3, and messed around with an RR1 this weekend...defintetly a fine guitar! i wouldnt overlook the Jackson Stars models though...im actually thinking about them for a future guitar. and if you want a Rhoads with a Floyd, you may like the KB sig, but you might kick yourself later for NOT getting a Floyd (when the honeymoon is over). just a thought...
              That's a good point, but part of what drew me to the KB sig was the tone, and I have a feeling that the stop-tail on a mahogany body contributed to that. I don't think I'd get the same tone from an alder body with a Floyd route.

I may just be justifying the guitar to myself, but I do already own 2 other Floyd-equipped guitars. It's a good thing I have a couple of days to mull this over.

Comment

I don't own one yet but will soon.I have put one thru it paces and was impressed very nice feel and weight.Great tone just a great guitar.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

That's a good point, but part of what drew me to the KB sig was the tone, and I have a feeling that the stop-tail on a mahogany body contributed to that. I don't think I'd get the same tone from an alder body with a Floyd route.

I may just be justifying the guitar to myself, but I do already own 2 other Floyd-equipped guitars. It's a good thing I have a couple of days to mull this over.
                  true...the Mahogany probably adds a LOT to the guitar...probably a little looser and bigger lowend, and sweeter highs and mids...i like Alder more though because of the tighter low end and more pronounced mids. just personal preference...but theres nothing wrong with variety! if you have two Floyds, it might be good to have a stop tail guitar as well
                  My metal band Lucian Scott
                  Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by kinde69
                    IT ROCKS!!! I own Kevin´s ex-Jackson (see the thread over here: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59199 ). I will compare the signature series and the original CS right after I will come back from China.
                    China? Cool! Tell the executives from Walmart that Tim says hi!
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki
                      true...the Mahogany probably adds a LOT to the guitar...probably a little looser and bigger lowend, and sweeter highs and mids...i like Alder more though because of the tighter low end and more pronounced mids. just personal preference...but theres nothing wrong with variety! if you have two Floyds, it might be good to have a stop tail guitar as well
                      Heh, well the KB Rhoads I played the other day in the store definitely had tight lows. The difference to my ear was in the mids - they were very balanced. Really full and chunky.

The real question is: If I get a KB Rhoads, do I get it with red or green bevels?

Comment

Get the color what you like most. For some reason I prefer red bevels

Comment

I really want to try one of these but I haven't seen one in any stores in the Atlanta area yet.

If you liked the one you played, and already have two Floyd-ed guitars, I say go for it! Go with the color YOU like most. I like the green myself.
                          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

The real question is: If I get a KB Rhoads, do I get it with red or green bevels?
                            Either one is equally cool to me. If I were at a dealer that had both, I'd have a hard time deciding which one to get.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

For $1200 I'd look used, personally. I'm the type of guitar buyer guitar companies hate though
                              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                              X