Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DXMG: Alder vs. basswood - sound difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXMG: Alder vs. basswood - sound difference?

I know this subject must be boring the tits off you lot, so excuse this as a one off.

I've seen plenty of threads on this model, but has anyone compared these two versions in terms of sound? my ex-2004/5 dxmg had a really nice mid-range sound to it.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

1 alder, if its decent grade will sound awsome,... if your into to loads of highs and its bit heavy so its sounds pretty solid.
    2 basswood is light and well in my personal experence just isn't a good guitar making wood I've played literally hundreds of guitars and almost all of basswood guitars are just toneless with the exception of a few ibanez guitars.

But like anything else with guitars its matter of preference so my opinion may not be valid to other people.

Sorry don't mane to hate on basswood lovers.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

so my best bet is to find a 2004/2005. it'll be cheaper than the 2006 too.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Yes, with passive pickups you should stay away from basswood. If you plan on putting in EMGs or other active pickups, then the type of bodywood and neck-body construction is less important, tonewise.

Comment

Funny that people dog basswood when some of the top players prefer it. There must be some reason why major guitar manufacturers use it on $2k plus guitars including Charvel.

Comment

Haven't EVH guitars always been specd with basswood bodies? Yet I always read negative comments and oppinions of basswood. I have never played a guitar made out of it.
            RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
            CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
            Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
            Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Every guitar is different. Don't go by wood generalizations. I have an IBANEZ PGM model with a basswood body/flame maple top and it is just about the BRIGHTEST guitar I have EVER played (maple tops add sizzle but, that particular piece of basswood must be HELLA bright to begin with). Wolfgang EVH's are particularly tonefull and Mr. Suhr's favorite tonewood is basswood and Tom Anderson is also a huge fan of basswood as well. Not every mahogany guitar sounds fat and warm either.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I own and have owned enough guitars that I have learned tonewoods are more preference than anything else. I have basswoods, alder, agathis, solid one piece mahoganys, and even a plywood guitar and most everything you've read about tonewoods is just regurgitation of what someone else has said somewhere else. I agree with Robo. The wood to each guitar is different. If you have a good quality basswood vs alder that may have dead spots, then your basswood will sound nicer. Even if you have good quality of both, you may just like the sound of basswood better. Basswood and agathis are being used because they are cheaper to obtain than alder and mahogany. If suddenly basswood and agathis became rare, guitar manufacturers would hesitate to use them and ten years from now, everyone would be swearing up and down how great those woods sound compared to the cheap wood of that day. Trust your ear not my typing.

Comment

i like the alder over the basswood due to its more upper mid crunch
                  basswood is overall warmer but that can be no a real good thing depending on the pups you like?
                  Like the dimazrio tone zone or invader sound better in the alder since it is brighter and those two pups are darker than norm
                  but in basswood the brighter pups work out real well
                  both seem to have about the same sustain but the alder sounds punchier to me
                  If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                  X