Bad ground??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad ground??

Hello~ first time poster here, first time Jackson owner as well.

I recently acquired an RR-3 (I can't tell you much about it, it's new and all-black), which I am really enjoying. Though, as I am quite new to this type of guitar (I'm used to a strat with single coils) it is taking quite a bit of adjustment. Having nothing to compare it to, I am not certain what is to be expected and what should cause concern. I've noticed that when I have the volume off I can hear a click (through the amp) when I touch a string. My (limited in experience) guess would be some sort of grounding problem. Is this to be expected with an RR-3 and should it be taken care of?

Thanks in advance for any help!

~Paul
    a newbie armed with an RR-3.... watch out!

i'm guessing, but it could be a shit volume or tone pot, in which case, replace with cts switchcraft branded pot if possible. these problems are to be expected when buying an import. i've got the same issue with a dx10d.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I don't think it's a ground problem. You would get a major hum when ever you touch the strings. I had that problem once. I think what wilkinsi said might be a good guess. I have an RR3 and I don't have any problems with it including the problem you have.
      Guitars:
      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
      1988 Model 2,
      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
      RR3
      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

i'm just curious. did you buy it new or used? bought new - i wouldn't accept that if it was an order. if you buy something off the display, then it makes good sense to try it out, ensuring everything is as it should be. if you bought it used - well, it's the risk you take. just my honest opinion.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

First a ground hum goes away when you touch the string because you are the ground. This is going to sound really stupid, but could a string be actually touching a pole on the pup to make that click? And, Welcome to the board. The answer is here.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome and the suggestions.

The strings definitely aren't coming in contact with the pickup poles. The idea of it being a faulty pup ceratainly sounds a possibilty. I've noticed that when I have the pickup selector down (bridge) and I'll still be able to faintly hear the neck pickup if it's volume is up. The volume control doesn't seem to be terribly gradual, either, it's pretty much on or off.

The guitar is new (on markdown) and under warrantee, so there is the option of getting a repair done. But, it has me thinking... would it be a better investment to just get better pots like wilkinsi suggested? If so, how much $ are we talking? If it's not that expensive, perhaps it'd be worth it, rather that reinstalling inferior pots. I have some experience with soldering, are they that hard to replace or is it just simple de-soldering and soldering in the new?

Again, thanks for the helpful input! If anyone, I deservedly can use this: .

~Paul

Comment

OK, did a little homework like a good little newbie. The pots look fairly inexpensive, assuming the type I found was acceptable:

http://www.gtrheaven.com/accessories...and%20Switches

Do any of these look OK?

Comment

I would use 140219, pair of 500K full size pots.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                X