Need advice on pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on pickups.

Hey all, just wanting some recomendations for some pickups in my Jackson DXMG. This is my favorite guitar as far as playing but I can't stand the HZ's anymore. Wanting something more organic that lets the notes jump out atcha. I have an alder bodied LTD with a JB in the bridge and it's ok but I'd like something else for my DXMG. I'm playing through a Marshall JCM 800 into a 1936 cab. I'm pretty much into 80's metal, Ratt, Queensryche, Dokken, and so on, but I'd like some versatility. I was thinking of a Duncan SH-11 in the bridge and an SH-2 in the neck just based on listening to the sound clips on the Seymour Duncan website, but I'd rather hear oppinions from some of you guys who have actually had experience with them. Also had thought about EMG's but don't know. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave Mustaine Livewires. I have them in my DKMG and they are real lively and responsive, not noisy or sterile like EMG's.
    Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

EMGs are noisy and sterile?
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Noisy = bad technique
        Sterile = bad playing?

Jokes.

Comment

Thanks Voice, I'll try to Google up some sound clips on the net. Don't stop guys, keep em coming.

Comment

Personally, I think EMG's are the epitome of sterile. Unless of course you dont mind the buzzsaw sound they emit. They just have no dynamics, the output is sheer overdrive. Many metal guitarists prefer this sound. I agree with you on the HZ's though. This week I'm getting a Steve's Special and Air Norton installed on my SLSMG.

Always been a fan of the Duncans, but from what I've heard from the Steve's and Air, if wired correctly, has more tonal options than you could wish for.

I kind of agree with YJM on pick ups; Let the amp take care of the distortion, let the pick-ups do the tone job.
            www.myspace.com/madeaband
            www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

I personally love EMG pickups. It's not because I'm a dumb kid, tone deaf, inexperienced, don't know guitars, don't know amplifiers, don't understand tone woods, don't understand blah blah blah.......
              It's strictly because of the one thing that I would think every decent musician should understand by now...
              TONE IS SUBJECTIVE, AND IS NOT UNIVERSAL.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I've owned four guitars with EMGs through the years, only two at the moment, though. I think I'm pretty much sick of passive pups at this time and will need more EMGs... they just work and sound great for me, for both distorted and clean tones. An 85 in the bridge with either a 60 or 81 in the neck sounds just amazing. The 81 is a little too bright for my tastes in the bridge nowadays, but it's still a nice pup.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks guys, toejam, you're the second person who has recomended the 85 in the bridge instead of an 81. I know tone is subjective and you need to judge for yourself. I just don't have a lot of cash to spend on pickups and then decide I hate them just to have to buy more. Unfortunatly the music stores in my area do not have a great selection to just go listen to, plus you'd be hard pressed to find my head and cab in one to know exactly how a particular guitar would sound. Thanks for all the advice, any other opinions.

Comment

i love EMGs...i have them in both my Jacksons and i couldnt be happier with the choices. 81/85 in the RR3, 81/81 in the DX10. noisy? hardly. sterile? if you call more consistant tone and better overall frequency response sterile, ok. they sound good clean, mild gain, or heavily distorted, and sound different from guitar to guitar, contrary to popular belief. i also have a duncan distortion in my Music Man and its a fantastic pickup as well. nice open sound, but tight low end and great mids and highs. a bit warmer than the EMGs, but a great pickup for rock, metal, and can get good cleans as well.

i personally dont like the 85 in the bridge...i tried it and switched the 81 back in. not saying i dont like tones ive heard with an 85, but it just doesnt work for me and you should try it yourself...you may like it
                    My metal band Lucian Scott
                    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                    Available Now!
                    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM.
                      Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        I've owned four guitars with EMGs through the years, only two at the moment, though. I think I'm pretty much sick of passive pups at this time and will need more EMGs... they just work and sound great for me, for both distorted and clean tones. An 85 in the bridge with either a 60 or 81 in the neck sounds just amazing. The 81 is a little too bright for my tastes in the bridge nowadays, but it's still a nice pup.
                        We agree on a pick-up subject! Except that I don't think 81 is too bright.. 85 in the bridge kills really!
                        Check my bands!
                        www.myspace.com/magicktr
                        www.myspace.com/sinif64
                        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
                          I've yet to see anyone audibly quantify what "sterile" sounds like.
                          its when your guitar sounds like a hospital

Comment

As far as duncans go the SH-11 has a really loose bottom and doesnt do metal as well as others. The SH-5 Custom will get you there and still give you the versatility you are after too. I understand what you guys are saying about EMG's but there's just a certain feel to them that I can't get into.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                              EMGs are noisy and sterile?
                              Yes, yes they are. Often feedbacky without a gate (yuck) They have no "Natural" dynamics. Granted they are great in some situations, but not very versitile.

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
                              Noisy = bad technique
                              Sterile = bad playing?

Jokes.
                              Those are not the Webster's definitions. Where do you get your information? lol

Originally posted by tseegert View Post
                              Personally, I think EMG's are the epitome of sterile. Unless of course you dont mind the buzzsaw sound they emit. They just have no dynamics, the output is sheer overdrive. Many metal guitarists prefer this sound. I agree with you on the HZ's though. This week I'm getting a Steve's Special and Air Norton installed on my SLSMG.

Always been a fan of the Duncans, but from what I've heard from the Steve's and Air, if wired correctly, has more tonal options than you could wish for.

I kind of agree with YJM on pick ups; Let the amp take care of the distortion, let the pick-ups do the tone job.
                              I agree with you half way on the last statement. The wood should provide characteristics of the tone as well. With an EMG the wood is a non factor.
                              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Working...
                              X