Need advice on pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
    The wood should provide characteristics of the tone as well. With an EMG the wood is a non factor.
    The wood does provide characteristics of tone as well with EMGs. They're just a more consistent pickup from guitar to guitar.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

if you are going Passive

the duncan SH5 custom is, in my opinion, thier most versitile pup. It does everything pretty well, Metal to country, to what ever.
      the Steves Special from Dimarzio is supposed to be a comprable pickup to the SH5
      Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

With an EMG the wood is a non factor.
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I replaced the HZ's in my DKMG with an 81(b)/85(n). I love the tones I get out of this guitar! I definately don't find them noisey. They have a quick connect cable so you could get this setup and then swap them - 81neck/85bridge. Personally I like the 81 in the bridge. Karl

Comment

Wow, I opened up a can of worms mentioning EMG's. I went to the EMG site and comparing the 81 to the 85 in the neck, I prefer the 81, at least dirty. I appreciate all the input guys, but I still find myself leaning towards the passives. After really comparing the sh-11 to the sh-5, the sh-5 is starting to sound better. So basically if I go passives it'll probably be an sh-5 in the neck, actives EMG 81. That still leaves the neck in question, SH-2 or perhaps a pearly gates. If I go with the EMG's probably a 60 in the neck. I really do apprciate all the input, threads like this really prove tone is subjective to the individual, but I like getting a general consenses to help me make a decision. Cool thing about this site is you guys can disagree, maybe even poke a little fun at one another, and still be civil. Some guitar sites I occasionally lurk on, would have flamed me for asking the question, and each other for having a different opinion. This site rocks!!! When I actually get something installed I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for all the input.

Comment

Yes, yes they are. Often feedbacky without a gate (yuck) They have no "Natural" dynamics. Granted they are great in some situations, but not very versitile.

Those are not the Webster's definitions. Where do you get your information? lol

I agree with you half way on the last statement. The wood should provide characteristics of the tone as well. With an EMG the wood is a non factor.
              noisy and feedback without a gate? i can stand in front of my 5150 with the post gain at 5 and as long as i keep the strings muted i dont have a problem with feedback...normal hiss, yes, feedback, no. ive never needed a gate...and most people that do need to turn the gain down anyways IMO.

and the wood does influence the tone...my PRS sounded totally different than either of my Jacksons, and they all are alder and all equipped with EMGs.

just my opinion though...take it for what its worth
              My metal band Lucian Scott
              Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
              Available Now!
              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

I find the EMG 60 to be a great versital pickup.A 60 and 81 are quite nice together.I'm not a big fan of the 85 or 89.
                I plan on putting 2 60s in my 92 fusion H-H(mahogony ) for shits and giggles maybe I'll like it.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Here comes one more vote for the SH-5 Custom.
                  I have one in the bridge of my Jackson Stars Rhoads, and it rocks big time. Until I got this the Duncan Distortion was my favourite pickup, now it has to share the top position with the Custom for me.
                  The Custom just has so much TONE, sounds awesome for rhythm and leads!

I'm one of those who just don't like the EMG tone.
                  Yes, they do sound different in different guitars. But they always have the EMG signature sound. Especially the 81 when doing palm-muted rhythm. If you like that sound, two thumbs up for you and EMGs.
                  BTW I liked the 85 in the bridge better than the 81... but still not enough to compete with Duncans.

YMMV.
                  http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Ok, guys, some great advice. What are some thought on splitting the coils. If I go with the Duncans I considered using two push/pull pots so I could split the neck and bridge. Anyone tried this? Any cons to this or pros to wiring it up tradtionally?

Comment

emgs are awsome for dirtys and cleans i have the 81b/60n combo the 60 makes for really good solos nice and creamy and good for cleans like jazz and such there really versitile the only thing is the don't give the construction of the guitar any props like if you have a string through and a neck through with top of the line woods you want to hear the tone the guitar produces but with emgs it would sound the same as a cheap more poorly made guitar where as with a passive you'll be able to hear the actual voice of the guitar
                      and yeah emgs are noisey the feed back like crazy if you have a gate
                      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 06:47 PM.
                        Just a guitar player...

Comment

sorry about that i meant to say that they feed like crazy WITHOUT a sound gate.......... wow cool your from texas, do you know the town donna? its like an hour away from you
                          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

If you going to go passive, I suggest a Bill Lawerence L-500XL(NOte:Buy them from Bill himself-not Stew Mac)

I took the JB out of my one of my guitars and put the XL in-New life!

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 06:47 PM.
                              Just a guitar player...

Comment

once again i will say, EMGs are no more feedback prone than any other pickups...if you absolutely need a gate then youre playing with way too much gain or dont know how to mute your strings when not playing. or you can turn the volume down with your pinky. i honestly dont see where all the feedback problems come from...my Duncan will feedback just as much as an EMG if i let it...its all in volume, amount of distortion, and distance from the speakers. sure EMGs are more sensitive, thats their nature...but theyre no more trouble to keep quiet than passives IMO.
                                My metal band Lucian Scott
                                Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                                Available Now!
                                New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Working...
                                X